Time for knee pads? help!

Options
Quinn_Baker
Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi MFP!
I recently started back doing what I used to when I was so successful (i.e. kicking my own butt in the gym and eating better). I've been doing an assortment of exercise, which is how I like it.
One of the classes I tried this week was Barre (holy crap, this was a challenge!), and I also do yoga from time to time.
Unfortunately, I have bad knees. About half of my cartilage is gone and while I do not experience pain every single day, I can not comfortably do high impact exercise or SIT on my knees.
This was a problem during these classes where they had us on our knees quite a bit for different exercises.
My question is- would knee pads be a good investment for this type of thing? I don't want to stop going to either class, but my knees are banged up just from being on them for a couple minutes. I'm talking bruises and pain.

thanks!

Replies

• Quinn_Baker
    Options
    bump! :)
  • jamcou2020
    jamcou2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Knee pads should help butninwouldnt do anything that hurts me. No matter what. I think you should find som altenative work outs or take up body building.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    when i have done classes that require me to be on my knees, i usually have a foam square i kneel on, or a folded up yoga mat. i wouldn't like wearing knee pads because they would be constricting my leg movements.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    In barre they'll have props, such as a rectangular pad, that you can put under your knees. Even if they didn't pull it out for the exercise you can get it before class starts and use it when you need to. Also, ask for modifications or alternate exercises. A knowledgable instructor will be able to explain them if you ask before class starts. Just check in 5-10 min before and explain the situation.

Modifications, alternate exercises, and props will ideally solve your issue without knee pads.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    In barre they'll have props, such as a rectangular pad, that you can put under your knees. Even if they didn't pull it out for the exercise you can get it before class starts and use it when you need to. Also, ask for modifications or alternate exercises. A knowledgable instructor will be able to explain them if you ask before class starts. Just check in 5-10 min before and explain the situation.

Modifications, alternate exercises, and props will ideally solve your issue without knee pads.

This. Talk to your instructor. Let her/him know your limitations and injuries, and they should be able to give you a modification.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Talk to your instructor. If the exercises cannot be modified and props cannot be used to help, then I would find a different class in your place.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Options
    Thanks all!