Feeling upset!! :( What do you to keep yourself from binging on ....

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    You have described a sleep problem. Have you tried addressing that one independently?

You have also described relationship problems. Have you tried addressing those independently?

Addressing a second-order eating problem is not going to fix your first-order problems.

Agreed.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Understanding your triggers is the first step in making a change. So that's great...I am a boredom eater and a stress eater. Knowing that and being aware sometimes helps me make better choices. I think it's a process to rewire our brains to make different choices. Basically, we need a new list of things to try when our first inclination is to eat all the food. Some of the other responses listed great options...tea, ice water, time out, a walk, writing out the feelings. I suggest you come up with a list of things you can try.

On another note, while dealing with the root cause is often a viable option, sometimes it is not. My ex is not going away and I don't hold much hope that he is going to change his narcissist controlling ways and I have to deal with him as long as we are both raising our son. In this case, reading, going to counseling, talking to friends have all helped me to understand his dysfunction and my reaction to it. Doesn't lessen the frustration or anger...but that's where my list sometimes helps.
  • Cathscottage
    Cathscottage Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is a really fascinating topic and I can see that everyone handles stress in different ways. Thank you for all sharing. I am currently doing a 12 week fitness challenge and the focus is on curbing the binges by doing something active. After all it is the endorphins that make us feel great during and after a workout. Also have included green tea, water and just hanging on for ten minutes and deep breathing. I think it is a matter of finding what works for you. If you were to binge then eat something healthy according to my food coach. It is not easy to change a lifetime of eating habits, but we are all on the same page. Everyone has different solutions for binge restraint and it is a matter of finding what your triggers are and avoiding those triggers or having options in place to help yourself. It also takes time to develop new habits 21 days the experts say. Remember please try and keep in mind that you deserve to be fit, healthy and worthy or a great body and mind. Only you can make that happen
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Study mindfulness. It makes your pre frontal cortex more activated so you are less likely to resort to impulse. Also the act of meditation stops you avoiding or obsessing and brings anxiety levels to minimum.

I studied the 8 week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course, I believe you can also do it online.

It's changed everything. I still want to binge, but I have an armour now.

I also use it to get back to sleep as I am often wide awake in the middle of the night (which is quite natural by the way, look up bi phasal sleeping).
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Turn the radio on, top volume, and scream out the lyrics to some rock songs. Write in a journal. Take a drive or a walk. Get on MFP and read the message boards. Pet a cat or dog. Play Mah Jong. Chug some water.

I think the main thing is to recognize that eating a ton of food will ultimately make you feel worse. Pick a few strategies and try one after the other until you find something that works for you.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Say what you want out loud. Myself, I vent out loud and go punch something inanimate.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue and am trying to get better sleep. When I feel myself about to turn to food I try hard to chew on gum brush teeth or chug wster hardcore or drink a diet soda. Sometimes helps.