For runners..fueling up

I dont know how i should eat pre- and post workout. I normally eat oatmeal and a normal breakfast, but wonder if I'm eating the wrong things and should have my carbs later. Hoping for some guidance. I run fast and will keep it up for at least 30 minutes

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    A recreational runner doing 30 minutes doesn't really need to worry about specific nutrient timing.

Despite what people may say, and this persistent need to micro-manage everything, there's no specific need to worry about nutrient timing to that degree in all but a few circumstances. One of those circumstances is long distance running, however 5k runs and such are easily covered by your own energy stores.

At this level of performance you can just eat for personal preference. There are no inherently wrong things, and no real need to be specifically timing nutrients.

I run timed 5k and recreational 10k runs weekly, and just eat to my usual preference, which is lighter in the day and a large intake in the evening.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Agree. For most runs including hour+ I might have a bagel and gatorade. After a solid run of that length I love chocolate milk, great mix of carbs and protein. But 30 min isn't long enough to worry much about.
  • lisaconklin957
    lisaconklin957 Posts: 17 Member
    For longer runs, you might have to experiment with timing to see what your body prefers. Some people can't run after eating anything, while others need a few carbs to feel at their best. But for a 30-minute run you shouldn't need to do anything outside of the norm.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Thank you so much...that's really useful. I often run in am so I am pretty hungry, but maybe I can cut back.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    I run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I have a double shot of espresso, a glass of water, and go. If my run is longer than an hour, I'll carry 1/2 a protein bar to snack on in case I get hungry. I'll have a solid breakfast about an hour after I get home. I can't eat directly before/after working out but you've got to find what works for you.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited April 2016
    I've tried running on an empty stomach (I also run first thing in the morning, typically), and running with food in it. I've found I enjoy my runs more and I poop out less quickly after a meal of slow-release carbs. Oatmeal or high-fiber, high protein waffles come to mind. I usually like to do 40+ minutes on the treadmill and squeeze out a 5-6 miles when I run.

I get that there's no need to micromanage from a training perspective at my level (although I do cardio every day). It's more that it just feels better (and I feel like I perform better) when there's food in my stomach.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    edited April 2016
    Before is a personal preference I'd say. I can't eat much before a run but if I'll be out for 8+ miles I'll usually east a banana before-something small. If it's 13+ miles I'll take some gummies or chews to snack on incase I get hungry. I'm usually starving after (run in the am as well) and try to get a good balance of protein and carbs -oatmeal or cream of wheat and a protein shake or something like that.