How important is it to buy Organic?

Options
dbkyser
dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
I find it hard to find organic foods sometimes. Especially chicken breasts and peppers.
Do any of you see better results when buying organic?

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories, if you're looking for weight loss results.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not very. Organic is typically grossly overvalued and over priced.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The two people I know that focus on eating organic are also sick a good portion of the time.

Yes, I know, anecdotes do not a truth make, but that's one more reason I don't actively choose organic food ;)

Eat what you like, as long as it doesn't cause you issues.

~Lyssa
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Not really. I tend to buy organic if I'm worried about pesticide content, so things like salad greens and berries. Otherwise, I'll get whichever looks fresher or is more local, which is usually conventional. Supposedly, there's a conglomeration of studies showing that organic isn't any "better" in terms of nutrient content.

For animal products, I try to get pastured/grass-fed when its on sale or if the fat content is high (higher in omega-3). So usually butter, ground beef, whole chickens.... Chicken breast is so lean (and overpriced where I am!) that I'll just opt for conventional.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet, most the organic eaters I know are also the healthiest. :My thirty or forty foodie friends outweigh your two. :)

Honestly, it doesn't matter too much, but where I find it makes a huge difference in taste is in dairy products. Good organic milk just simply tastes better than the other stuff. I also worry about pesticides, so tend to lean towards organics for greens and veg, but 1.99 a pound jongold apple vs 4.99 a pound jongold organic apples just isn't worth it to me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    I guess it is important to some people.

Isn't a factor for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I read "organic" is a term and may not mean what we think sometimes? It is more a marketing tool perhaps?

cnbc.com/2015/11/04/is-organic-really-organic-a-deep-dive-into-the-dirt.html
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter. Personally, I try to buy organic for the things I eat the most of that also are known to be treated the most like apples, greens, baby carrots and berries. Google the "Dirty Dozen" that's basically my guide for the most part and whether I do on a regular basis is iffy haha.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter. Personally, I try to buy organic for the things I eat the most of that also are known to be treated the most like apples, greens, baby carrots and berries. Google the "Dirty Dozen" that's basically my guide for the most part and whether I do on a regular basis is iffy haha.

EWG’s “Dirty Dozen” List

A salient example of the misinformation campaign against regular food is the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) “Dirty Dozen,” a list of foods which organic activists say you should only buy in a premium-priced, certified-organic form, unless you are okay with eating poison. One wonders how EWG could promote such a list when there is no reliable testing to distinguish between what is and is not genuinely organic.
    Of course, people from EWG helped write the USDA’s toothless organic standards which purposely omitted field testing. And they did this against President Clinton’s and the American Consumers Union’s better judgment.
    In addition to campaigning against field testing at the same time as their ally McEvoy falsely promises testing, EWG’s “Dirty Dozen” list suffers from several fundamental scientific flaws as outlined in a peer-reviewed scientific paper published in the Journal of Toxicology.
    The authors concluded that pesticide exposure on conventional food was negligible, substitution of organic food did not reduce consumer risks, and the EWG’s “Dirty Dozen” list “lacks scientific credibility.”

http://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2011/10/03/how_organic_activists_spread_misinformation_106252.html
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lol!! I figured it would bite me in the behind not googling if this is now thought of as woo. Haha can't win em' all
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    stuff I buy is mostly regular, but I grow my garden organic. Both are cheaper for me.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I want organic apples because of taste. Cucumber I'd rather have without the wax too but usually just buying an English cucumber takes care of that.

Anything I grow is organic.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Like with all 'superfoods', you put a flashy term on it, and the price doubles. It doesnt mean that it will massively improve your health...