Indoor Grills, George Forman Grills?

Options
dbkyser
dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I usually grill outdoors but lately been wondering if I would use an indoor grill to cook chicken breasts etc. Or would it be one of those things that doesn't get used much.

Anyone have one that they actually use often.

Replies

• Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We use ours for everything!!! No charbroiled taste tho! They make bomb grilled cheese sandwiches!!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I used to have an indoor electric grill when I lived in an apartment. It smoked up the kitchen and was a mess to clean. If the weather is bad I use the broiler for similar results to grilling. The George Foreman Grills are more of a panini press in my opinion.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I love my George Foreman grill! I started with the smallest one, and asked for the bigger one because I cook all my chicken at once and I can get most of it on there and get it done quickly. I also love to grill veggies on it. I do most of my meat on it. It has never smoked up my house. I put it on the top of the stove and just turn my exhaust fan on while it's cooking.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    unless grilling paninis is an essential thing in your life you could always invest in an iron cast grill - will cost you half the price of a GF grill, will last you much - much longer and will give you the same results!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I got a used GF grill for free. I like it, since I live in an apartment, but I'm not sure if I would have bothered buying one myself. It is really a lot like a panini press. It obviously won't give you a charcoal grill taste, but it does cook kabobs very quickly. There are a few recipes that I cook more often because I have the grill (mostly kabobs, really), but that's about it.

I also have no problems with smoke at all. Mine doesn't have removable plates, so I cover it with foil for easier clean up. That does mean I don't get very many grill marks, if you care about that.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I mainly use mine because it cooks meat so fast with little mess to clean up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Grilled vegetables, bacon, and so on. We were using ours once or twice a week but now we use it much less.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Pain in the backside to clean though....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love mine, but I got the one with removable plates... otherwise I would probably never use it.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I have one with multiple plates (2grill, 1flat, 2waffle), but really just use the grilling plates. It's good, glad I have it. I line it with foil before cooking, otherwise it's impossible to clean properly.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I use my GF grill all the time to reheat frozen sausage, quickly cook dinner sausage, cook/reheat frozen burgers, make hot ham and cheese sandwiches.. Things to that extent. I use mine almost every day. But I almost never use it to "grill" a steak. It's not the same.
  • burkblondie
    burkblondie Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I love my Forman and it stays permanently on our countertop. I use it every other day and it is so easy that we prefer the Forman grill over grilling outside!
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses, I may need to pick one up
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people have trouble cleaning them- after you unplug it, and it is still warm, just get some paper towel, about 4 layers thick, wet it, and wipe it off. Takes literally less than a minute.