Liquid Protein w/in 15 minutes of Weight Lifting Workout?

Options
jdhcm2006
jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
Is there any truth to having a liquid protein (protein shake, yogurt, milk) within 15 minutes of ending a lifting workout? Apparently, it has to be liquid b/c the body absorbs it better.

I finally decided that I needed to start lifting heavy to supplement/improve my pole dancing, so I decided to join a gym and get a personal trainer for a few months so I can learn proper form and not feel so overwhelmed with all things lifting.

I met with the owner of the gym I joined (it's a private gym and he does the gym orientation for all new members) and he said that having a liquid protein within 15 minutes following a lifting workout helps to maximize muscle growth and it's healing. Apparently, he's a nutritionist as well as a PT, but half the things he said I tuned out b/c while it may have some merit, I'm much more comfortable with calorie counting.

Is this fact? bro-science? a combination of both? From what I've seen around the boards, I always thought that carbs were the best thing to get after a workout, but maybe that's different for lifting.

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    nutrient-timing-table_r4-01-1024x837.png
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I won't worry about making sure I get protein in within 15 minutes of a lifting workout.