Signed up for my first "race"

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
in about 20 years.

The "Run the Hook" at Sandy Hook N.J. May 15. A 5K. They will also have a 10K but let's not get ahead of ourselves. "Race" is in quotes because, in my little mind, "Race" just means group run. Currently doing 4.75 miles at an average 10:35 per mile pace. Walking the first quarter as a warm up and the last half as a cool down. Both included in the average.

Looking forward to it. I'll report after it's over.

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Your ready to go already. My first 5k is tomorrow morning 11 am. :)
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's great. You are going to love it. After doing my first 5k I was hooked. I did about 6 more that year. Then I got pregnant. Now I'm working my way back up to three miles so I can do more races. I can't wait.
  • pondee629
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Your ready to go already. My first 5k is tomorrow morning 11 am. :)

Enjoy and good luck.
    Hfeff wrote: »
    That's great. You are going to love it. After doing my first 5k I was hooked. I did about 6 more that year. Then I got pregnant. Now I'm working my way back up to three miles so I can do more races. I can't wait.

Thanks.
  • cindyannette
    cindyannette Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great! I wish you well in your run!! I just signed up for my first one, too. Been running off and on for years but never did any organized runs. Just got back into running this year again and decided to start signing up for runs. I think it will keep me motivated. Best of luck to you!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Now don't wait 20 more years for the next one. :)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    So, the "race" (group run) is over. 5K, chip time 29:04; placement, 121/536; age and gender placement, 3/9. Overall, a good day.

Now, on to Ridgewood, NJ on Memorial Day for another 5 K. Can this get addicting? ;-)

**Looks at drawer full of 5k, 10k, and half marathon race shirts** Um, yes it can. I've got a 10k coming up in a few weeks and I can't wait. I had a couple of injuries (non-running related) and haven't done a 10k for a few years, so I'm really excited.
  • kc_lea
    kc_lea Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! I am starring down my first-ever 10K and my first race in about 5 years. It's nice to "meet" others in the same situation!
  • pondee629
    Options
    kc_lea wrote: »
    Well done!!! I am starring down my first-ever 10K and my first race in about 5 years. It's nice to "meet" others in the same situation!

The biggest difference, "problem", I had with the race was traffic. After running by myself all the time, being in a group, each at their own pace, slowing, speeding up and suddenly stopping to walk, were all a challenge. Finishing felt great. I could get used to this.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    kc_lea wrote: »

The biggest difference, "problem", I had with the race was traffic. After running by myself all the time, being in a group, each at their own pace, slowing, speeding up and suddenly stopping to walk, were all a challenge. Finishing felt great. I could get used to this.

Great Job!!!

As you get more race experience you will learn where the best place is for you to start. Then you will be with others that are going your speed and you won't have to dodge as many bodies.

And yes, this is very addicting. B)
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So, the "race" (group run) is over. 5K, chip time 29:04; placement, 121/536; age and gender placement, 3/9. Overall, a good day.

Now, on to Ridgewood, NJ on Memorial Day for another 5 K. Can this get addicting? ;-)

You must be running with the same group my good friend (and running inspiration) is running with. ORC, by any chance?
  • pondee629
    Options

You must be running with the same group my good friend (and running inspiration) is running with. ORC, by any chance?

No group. Just me. At first I was looking for a group run to start, was always fond of the Hook, so I started there. Ridgewood is a neighboring town so, after a good day on the Hook, signed up for that one on Memorial Day. Should be done in plenty of time to make my friends BBQ.
    I have no idea what/who ORC is.
    Did your Friend Run the Hook?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a solid race. Any time you qualify for the podium (3rd of 9!) in your age group, that's a howling success in my book!
  • pondee629
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Congrats on a solid race. Any time you qualify for the podium (3rd of 9!) in your age group, that's a howling success in my book!

Third of nine did feel good ;-) Breaking 30 minutes was a bit of a surprise also. Felt so good, signed up for another for Memorial Day. This could get to be a habit. Almost forgot how much I like running.

• caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Did your Friend Run the Hook?

She did, and she's training for some insane 50k. ORC=Ocean Running Club
    I moved away years ago, but have many fond memories of the jersey shore. Grew up in TR.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    great shot. congrats
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Race entries should come with the following warning:

"Running is highly addictive and has been known to cause awesomeness......"

5Ks are definitely a gateway race, congrats on a great result.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

Makin' it look easy! Can't wait to hear about the next one.
  • pondee629
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Makin' it look easy! Can't wait to hear about the next one.

Easy, no. Felt real good, though. Who would've thought losing 30 pounds would feel so good. Also, 4.7 miles three times a week makes 5 K seem short ;-) Looking forward to Ridgewood. Had forgotten how good it feels to run in and finish a "race".