Protein Intake

Options
ivett7gutierrez
ivett7gutierrez Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Currently I am debating if I should start drinking protein shakes to gain muscle are they really necessary to gain muscle or are there other alternatives? I used to drink them and I gained muscle but I got fat in midsection idk if that had anything to do with it.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    lol...you don't gain muscle just by drinking protein shakes - if only it were that easy! are you having trouble meeting your protein goals? that would be what protein shakes are for. which progressive loading program were you on before when you gained muscle? do that again if muscle is what you want.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Currently I am debating if I should start drinking protein shakes to gain muscle are they really necessary to gain muscle or are there other alternatives? I used to drink them and I gained muscle but I got fat in midsection idk if that had anything to do with it.

Drinking protein shakes alone will not build muscle.

To build muscle you need exercise stimulus like a structured lifting program, a moderate caloric surplus, and adequate protein. A shake can help you achieve the surplus and protein macro if you have a hard time getting it from food alone.
  • ivett7gutierrez
    Options
    I currently lift weights will that help?
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Yes
  • ivett7gutierrez
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I wasn't really in a program before I just lifted weights and did only small amount of cardio and I took protein shakes but I really wasn't in my ideal goal weight. I gained it in my legs but I also gained weight in my midsection.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    You should probably check out the sticky thread on the Gaining Weight forum. That can give you some ideas of how to build muscle and not put on a lot of fat during the process.
  • ivett7gutierrez
    Options
    Ok I will thank you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if you want to gain muscle you'll need to gain some fat too
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Pump iron, keep carbs below 100 grams/day, set protein 70 grams/day.