How do you deal with lack of support to loose weight in a relationship?

Options
Im both following slimming world and using mfp to loose weight. I runat nights and use my wii fi as well asthe sworkit app to exercise. I have a two year old so its all a bigger effort. As loosing weight is something I really want I'm just doing it. My boyfriend hasn't mentioned the weight I've lostbut claims he had noticed it. He supports me running by holding our daughter whilst I go and run but In terms of exercise he isn't that encouraging.

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    What would you like your boyfriend to do to help you feel more supported?

It sounds like you've have a discussion about losing weight and he agreed you look like you had, and you get time to yourself to run in the evenings. He might well think he's doing what he should be, and may not realise you don't feel the same way.

In all honesty though, I'm not sure from your post what else you're after! It certainly doesn't sound like he's UNsupportive.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Talk to him about what you feel you need. He sounds like he is trying.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I think him watching your daughter while you run is a great support. Be sure to thank him and tell him how much the support means to you. It may just be that he feels under appreciated. Also reassure him that you are not doing this to go out and find someone else. Significant Others tend to get a bit nervous and insecure when they see us looking better.
  • hybridangel
    hybridangel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 thanks I will thank him. The running is a hobbie like when my partner plays football but loosing weight is 80%diet. Thank you
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Gotta watch those calories but running is what really got me there. It makes room for the beer & wine to keep me sane.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "In terms of exercise he isn't that encouraging"? It sounds like he is encouraging/supporting you from where I stand. Actions speak louder than words.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to sound rude but you're not always going to get a pat on the back for everything you do in life. At some point, you have to do things for yourself because they make you happy, not because everyone applauds you after you're done.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I don't mean this to sound rude but you're not always going to get a pat on the back for everything you do in life. At some point, you have to do things for yourself because they make you happy, not because everyone applauds you after you're done.

It may seem harsh, but I agree with @emdeesea on this.
    Without knowing what you mean by "support" I cannot offer much more.
    You have to take care of yourself because you want to.
    Relying on others for too much "motivation" or "support" in something like this can be a recipe for disaster, in my opinion.
  • hybridangel
    Options
    Lol emdeeseai realise Im not going to get a pat on back for everything.
  • hybridangel
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't have to loose weight. I run because I love running loosing weight is just for me.