post long run - Carbs or protein?

Options
simmoner4
simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
I've heard this go both ways - which is really better after long runs? My runs during the week are from 8-20 miles. Also any post workout snacks would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Either. Just get the calories back in.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Long runs generally counter-productive. 20 min HIIT better, but to answer your question, unless you are doing Keto, then mostly carbs with 25-30 grams protein.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love banana with peanut butter after a long workout. Sugar, healthy fat, protein, and tastes like candy :).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    All the above?p5dp8nybo2zh.jpg
  • Antd412
    Antd412 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would go with mostly protein, that kind of run is gonna break down some muscle tissue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You need both...you need carbs to replenish glycogen and recover energy which will aid in repair...protein also to help aid in repair of broken down muscle tissue...the answer is both. I emphasize carbs after a long ride...but have plenty of protein too.
  • Antd412
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You need both...you need carbs to replenish glycogen and recover energy which will aid in repair...protein also to help aid in repair of broken down muscle tissue...the answer is both. I emphasize carbs after a long ride...but have plenty of protein too.

Agree
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    I've heard this go both ways - which is really better after long runs? My runs during the week are from 8-20 miles. Also any post workout snacks would be appreciated!! Thanks!

I usually do a banana and a protein shake. Only about 220 calories and everything you need.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    zimamax wrote: »

I usually do a banana and a protein shake. Only about 220 calories and everything you need.

You only eat 220 calories after a 20 mile run?
  • simmoner4
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    zimamax wrote: »

You only eat 220 calories after a 20 mile run?

Yeah I'm usually pretty hungry after a 20-miler but a banana and peanut butter is what I have been having after an 8 mile.
  • simmoner4
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replies! They're very helpful.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If I've been really, really good and it was a really, really long run, then this:

12495092_979146622176389_4815553935140407417_n.jpg?oh=46bb2429d5da1c832ad73a2f3a89d25f&oe=57BF1B0F
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy please enlighten me... What actually IS that? *puzzled face*
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Vote the straight protein ticket!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Vote the straight protein ticket!

Nope, you need carbs post run to replenish glycogen stores as well as protein to help repair muscle...
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Both!!! I always like toast with peanut butter and a glass of whole fat milk. I'll add protein powder to the milk if I know it will be awhile before my next meal.
  • Antd412
    Options
    Both!!! I always like toast with peanut butter and a glass of whole fat milk. I'll add protein powder to the milk if I know it will be awhile before my next meal.

Love the hair
  • JenHuedy
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »

Monster Cookie Dough frosted donut. Mmmm... Luckily, they don't make them very often.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »

Monster Cookie Dough frosted donut. Mmmm... Luckily, they don't make them very often.

Who is THEY?
  • JenHuedy
    Options
    DianeinCA wrote: »
    JenHuedy wrote: »

Who is THEY?

Hurts Donuts. Regional chain in the Midwest. I've kind of become obsessed with them. I'd never been a big donut fan until they came to town. They do some amazing flavors, without being overly sweet or greasy. The PB&J is to die for.