Will carbs make me fat if I am trying to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    No. I ate carbohydrates (including white stuff like bread, pasta, potatoes, sugar) all the time when I was losing weight. As long as I was in a deficit, I lost. It didn't matter if I had pizza, french fries, or cake during the week. What mattered was how many calories I ate.

Gah why does this excite me?!? Haha.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No. I ate carbohydrates (including white stuff like bread, pasta, potatoes, sugar) all the time when I was losing weight. As long as I was in a deficit, I lost. It didn't matter if I had pizza, french fries, or cake during the week. What mattered was how many calories I ate.

Gah why does this excite me?!? Haha.

I was pretty excited when I realized it was working too! Calorie counting is magical.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I only avoid starchy carbs to keep my calories low and also to ensure I keep my macros in the right range. If you can maintain your macros and calories then don't worry about it!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No, it won't.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I tend towards whole grain things because they often have more fiber and protein than their more processed counterparts. Whether or not they have less calories really depends on a lot of different factors. When calories are negligible, I go by macros.

That said, Torta rolls from Costco are gifts from the bread gods.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I tend towards whole grain things because they often have more fiber and protein than their more processed counterparts. Whether or not they have less calories really depends on a lot of different factors. When calories are negligible, I go by macros.

I effin' love those!!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The only difference is there is fast digesting carbs like white bread or white poatoes and slow digesting carbs like wheat bread and sweet potatoes just knowing when to eat them at certain times is key. But you can deff have both!

You don't need to eat them at certain times.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think we all have our successes with different meal plans, but my success only comes when i avoid white carbs and high fructose corn syrup. When i cut out the white carbs and refined sugars, i drop water weight like crazy! Just my experience.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I eat white carbs almost every day and I haven't gained fat since I started on MFP.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Any colour of carbs aren't the devil, but I will say that on the keto diet I am not hungry at all ever, while still in a calorie deficit. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, so before starting the keto diet, my diet was primarily carbs and protein, and I was hungry ALL THE TIME! Seriously, two hours after breakfast (with eggs and bread), I'd be hungry. Now, I've replaced the bread with something high fat and I can go 8 hours without getting hungry- usually forgetting about lunch. So carbs aren't bad, but if you struggle with hunger issues on a high-carb diet, try low carb instead.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »

I have looked at those a bunch of times. They are really good? What's the calories on them? Do you know off the top of your head?