healthy sweetener for tea

Options
Katie_Y89
Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
Looking for a healthier sweetener option to put in my green tea every morning besides sugar.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with sugar but in it's place you can use xylitol, stevia, honey, agave.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How do you define "healthier"?

If you're looking for something with fewer calories, I like Splenda and Equal in my tea sometimes. Some people like stevia, but I personally find it has an aftertaste that I don't care for.
  • connors0470
    connors0470 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    Looking for a healthier sweetener option to put in my green tea every morning besides sugar.
    Any suggestions?

I use organic honey
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

I use organic honey

Just to poke a bit of fun here, but I have to laugh when I read "organic honey." It's like saying "organic maple syrup."

It's either pure honey or it's not, pure maple syrup or it's not. I use raw honey from a local farm but only because it's delicious and my older kids' father has a syrup house, so I always get their homemade syrup for Christmas.

So sorry OP for getting off topic. "Healthy" is subjective and whatever helps you fit your goals in both calories and what you're looking for in your food can be just fine.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use Xylitol as my main sweetener. By that I mean the pure Xylitol made from birch. I have tried Xylitol from other companies other than the original and it gave me terrible stomach cramps and horrible 'poo'. Whenever I went back to the original company's Xylitol I have had no problems at all. I believe from what I have read Stevia and Splenda are nowhere near as natural and have other ingredients added.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with sugar or honey. But as others said you'll likely need to experiment with low or no calorie sweetners to find what you like.

I know many people have had success with cutting back the amount of sweeter they add week by week by a quarter teaspoon or so and with any luck you could train your taste buds to be happy with half or less of what you currently use.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with sugar or honey. But as others said you'll likely need to experiment with low or no calorie sweetners to find what you like.

I know many people have had success with cutting back the amount of sweeter they add week by week by a quarter teaspoon or so and with any luck you could train your taste buds to be happy with half or less of what you currently use.

Great idea took me years- got down to 1/4 of heap. I know it is just a smiggen but I felt I needed it. Been sugar fee in tea and coffee now for a more than a decade and can't stand any at all now. My taste buds have adapted to a lower sugar intake all round. I don't drink soda and never have. 1/2 sugar in cakes made, 30% sugar dark chocolate etc. This takes time.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to use sugar, then a leaf or two of stevia is fine with tea. Any bitterness of the stevia is masked by the tannins in the tea. I use Stevia with my mint teas (all from the garden).