Knee and hip pain from cardio

Options
I usually run 2 miles a day and walk anywhere from 3.5-5 miles a day (6 days a week). I've been having knee and hip pain all day long lately. Every step I take, I can feel the pain. It is not an intense amount of pain just a slight amount that is not very comfortable. Is there something I'm doing wrong or something that could be contributing to this uncomfortable pain? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• theconnertys
    theconnertys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is TONS that could be wrong.

What kind of shoes are you wearing? Have you been properly fitted for a running shoe?
    When did you start? At what weight? At what level of fitness? Age?
    How is your running form? Do you heel strike? Do you run on the balls of your feet?
    How about pace? How hard are you running?

There is a lot that goes into the simple act of running...which can be frustrating.

Maybe try and switch up the cardio. Switch out to a bike once or twice a week. Take a rest day. Mix it up.

I know that when I started running I suffered from shin splints. For me, it was a matter of shortening my stride and dialing back on intensity that did the trick. I needed to learn to jog before I could run. Really, my legs and muscles needed to catch up to my wants.
  • laurengleaves123
    laurengleaves123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is TONS that could be wrong.

What kind of shoes are you wearing? Have you been properly fitted for a running shoe?
    When did you start? At what weight? At what level of fitness? Age?
    How is your running form? Do you heel strike? Do you run on the balls of your feet?
    How about pace? How hard are you running?

There is a lot that goes into the simple act of running...which can be frustrating.

Maybe try and switch up the cardio. Switch out to a bike once or twice a week. Take a rest day. Mix it up.

I know that when I started running I suffered from shin splints. For me, it was a matter of shortening my stride and dialing back on intensity that did the trick. I needed to learn to jog before I could run. Really, my legs and muscles needed to catch up to my wants.

Thank you! I feel like I might be having the same problem as you. I've been running everyday for about 3 and a half months now, and before I typically ran every now and then and was never really ever this active. I don't get shin splints but the knee pain is a daily thing. I think I will try jogging more often than running!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've been running everyday for about 3 and a half months now, and before I typically ran every now and then and was never really ever this active

There is your problem, overuse. The classic issue of too much, too soon.

Reduce the frequency of running, think about your form.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It could be all sorts.
    Wrong shoes. Poor gait. Muscle imbalances. Overweight & overuse.