Fewer Calories Burned

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
When I started (230lbs), I could get 10k steps and burn 2500 calories a day. I'm about 30lbs down now, and I got a new Fitbit One yesterday. I got 11k steps and still only burned 2500 calories. I know I need more than one day with the new FB to really see, but I thought I'd ask in the meantime.

I know you're supposed to recalculate every once in a while, so does the above look like just an example of burning less when you weigh less? Or maybe the One is more (or less?) accurate than my previous Zip? I wore the Zip at the same time and it recorded the same amount of steps, give about 100. Could it be that the steps were relatively slow, instead of at a quicker pace like I normally do? My running days don't really make it different (I think I run too slow for it to tell that I'm actually running), so I'm hesitant to accept that one.

I'm not worried about it; if it stays this way I'll just move my step goal up to 11k (I'm sad when I eat fewer than 1500 cals :lol: so I refuse to lower my intake.) I'm honestly just asking because I'm bored, haha.

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    When you weigh less, you burn less.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Energy expenditure, other than your BMR, pretty much boils down to mass x distance (physics...) the less you weight the less energy it takes to move the same distance.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Cool, that's what I figured. Thanks!
  • MariainSydney
    MariainSydney Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Glad this was mentioned as I hadn't actually thought about that. I have noticed that my husband and I walk together the same distance 3.5k most days but I take more steps than him (I weigh less but am also shorter)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Definitely a case of weighing less lowering daily calorie burn.

If you switch from a clip-on Fitbit to a wrist one or to another company's tracker, you might get different data. But switching from Zip to One shouldn't have much affect on step count, etc.

Congrats on your loss! :)

And remember - you can always lower your weekly weight loss goal if you want to eat more. If you find that getting in the 11k steps is tough at some point, you can switch to a 1.5lb/week loss, rather than the 2lb/week one. Slower fat loss, but more food if you need it.

~Lyssa
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. I'm at 2548 right now at just over 10,000 steps and I weight around 223 still. Part of that was logged as running so I think it's normally slightly less. Sounds right to me. If that helps at all....
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    10k steps is maybe give or take 5 or 6 miles that's about 600 to 700 calories burned that's my guesstimate

Fitbit reports your total calories burned for the day. The 2500 that the OP and @BlueMacaroniArt are seeing is their total burn, not just the burn for their steps. It's a perfectly reasonable number in that case.

~Lyssa
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    10k steps is maybe give or take 5 or 6 miles that's about 600 to 700 calories burned that's my guesstimate

Fitbit reports your total calories burned for the day. The 2500 that the OP and @BlueMacaroniArt are seeing is their total burn, not just the burn for their steps. It's a perfectly reasonable number in that case.

~Lyssa

Oh I see thanks for the clarification I was about to say damn I'm burning over 3k at work lol

lol, right! I only wish just walking around burned a boatload of calories ;)

~Lyssa