Have you tested map my run against a heart monitor gps watch?

Options
Rit1603
Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
I am just curious if anybody has found if map my run is as reliable as a gps heart rate watch. I use mmr and dont use a watch and would like to get as close as possible to effective calorie burned

Replies

• filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    They are all different, even between two GPS trackers such as endomondo and runkeeper. My watch always says I ran a little less than what my phone says. It probably doesn't really matter, as calories burned is an estimate as well and not exact.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    They are all different, even between two GPS trackers such as endomondo and runkeeper. My watch always says I ran a little less than my phone.

Then should i decrease the amount of calories it says i burned by any percentage just to be safe?
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I cycle a lot and wear a chest strap heart rate monitor and run Map my Ride (basically the same program, same company), and I think Map my Ride consistently overestimates how many calories I've burned, by a lot sometimes.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    They are all different, even between two GPS trackers such as endomondo and runkeeper. My watch always says I ran a little less than my phone.

Then should i decrease the amount of calories it says i burned by any percentage just to be safe?

If it were me, I would use the lower of the two in regards to calories expended and to stay consistent.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Phone based GPS is more likely to have flaws in the tracking data, so the distance measured will have a higher error potential.

In the grand scheme of things the translation to calorie error for a phone cf a watch isn't high enough to worry about.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I use strava app for cycling and running. Distance wise its on par with my garmin 810. Elevation is WAAAAAY off and so is the calorie burn, but that I actually dont really care about.

Well i run on flat road and always same route so i guess should be pretty fair if i compare the days right? No elevation or slight ones
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    They are all different, even between two GPS trackers such as endomondo and runkeeper. My watch always says I ran a little less than what my phone says. It probably doesn't really matter, as calories burned is an estimate as well and not exact.

agree they are all different and wildly inaccurate in my experience.
    gps watch measures and times way more accurately against phone apps like runkeeper,runtastic,may my run and samsung s health.
    all calibrated against measured races at 5k,10k and half marathon.
    i only use watch now,and enter times manually on here for calorie count,having adjusted DOWN for accuracy.approx 10%.