Need help With Mac-N-Cheese

Options
DJDUFFY
DJDUFFY Posts: 98
I made mac-n-cheese tonight with Skim milk and added a can of peas in it. Well when i put it in my food dairy i went over on calories?Is there any way to make it healthier? Now i have to work hard on exercising to wear it off. :mad:

Replies

• chessie11
    chessie11 Posts: 52
    Options
    Did you use lower fat cheese as well? Also, what type of butter did you use? I love the stuff, too!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It is a difficult recipe to make healthy, but whole wheat pasta and light cheese might take it down a bit farther.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Do you mean Mac-N-Cheese out of a box?
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    How much butter did you use? There is a kraft (light prep) that is made with 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter and skim milk instead of the prep on the box listed on the MFP food directory. I had to make kraft tonight because we were out of organic and we still had a box left from before our dietary changes so I had to make it the light way and only eat half of a serving - the cals are outrageous!
  • DJDUFFY
    DJDUFFY Posts: 98
    Options
    Do you mean Mac-N-Cheese out of a box?
    oopps yes out of the box.I love Mac-N-Cheese but the calories are too high.Yes the Butter was unsalted and i didn't put much in.
  • SunmayLo
    SunmayLo Posts: 16
    Options
    eat a smaller portion of the mac n cheese and have some veggies on the side to fill up. maybe a nice salad?
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Eat Better America has some healthified ones that sound pretty good. Hungry Girl also has one I believe.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. That stuff just isn't healthy. Even if you omit the butter completely and use skim milk, you're still left with a high calorie food simply because that's what's packaged in that box. However, if you can't give it up, maybe you could add more veggies to it like perhaps the California Mix Frozen Veggies and then at least you'll get more food for the "price". And mind your portions. Most of those boxes contain 3 servings. (I'm so totally guilty of eating a whole box myself many time before this new lifestyle, I know that stuff is really good) Also, you could add a can of tuna to it to balance it out a little and fill you up. I used to do that years ago and make a modified version of Tuna Helper.
  • tlamhain
    tlamhain Posts: 15
    Options
    I use a great recipe for home made Mac& Cheese I got off of Weight Watchers. I find it to be a great lower cal recipe without being blah! Plus I add garlic, thyme and a few shakes of hot sauce. Oh and I use whole wheat pasta don't like whie pasta anymore!

Weight Watchers Macaroni and Cheese: Recipe Renovation

12 oz uncooked macaroni, elbow-type
    1/2 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
    12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
    8 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese
    1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
    2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

* Preheat oven to 350ºF.

* Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.

* Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding). Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

* Add cheese mixture to pasta; mix well. Transfer to a 4-quart casserole dish.

* Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta.

* Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    here's 2 weight watchers recipes... and i always use whole wheat noodles.. it's better for you than a box of mac and cheese.. sometimes i add chicken or bacon and make it my whole meal with maybe a salad...

Ingredients

2 spray(s) cooking spray
    12 oz uncooked pasta, gemelli or other twisted pasta (about 2 1/2 cups)
    1/8 tsp table salt, for pasta cooking water
    10 oz broccoli, small florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
    1 tsp butter
    1/3 cup(s) fresh bread crumbs
    3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    2 1/2 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
    1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup(s) onion(s), diced
    1 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tsp table salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.

Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and set aside.

In same saucepan (wipe clean if necessary), whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.

Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.

ingredients

12 oz uncooked macaroni, elbow-type
    1/2 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
    12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
    8 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese, shredded
    1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
    2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.

Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding). Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Add cheese mixture to pasta; mix well. Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish.

Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta.

Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Hi! I concocted a rather interesting alternative to mac 'n cheese that's South Beach friendly. No matter what dietary philosophy you follow, it's a lot healthier than the real thing! :wink:

http://lowersodiumsouthbeach.blogspot.com/2010/06/recipe-peas-n-cheese-south-beach-all.html
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    HI - I don't want to step over everything that has been posted here BUT.. Damn!!! get away from MAC & CHEESE. You know it. DO IT!!!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    HI - I don't want to step over everything that has been posted here BUT.. Damn!!! get away from MAC & CHEESE. You know it. DO IT!!!

Yep, you FSM worshipper types WOULD say that. :laugh: Seriously, my alternative's not that bad! Low in fat, high in fiber... Go check it out. :wink:
  • ZebraHead
    Options

Yep, you FSM worshipper types WOULD say that. :laugh: Seriously, my alternative's not that bad! Low in fat, high in fiber... Go check it out. :wink:

Excuse me I have a problem with this>>>>Let's get a look at the real you. You like Mac & cheese? let's see it?
  • ZebraHead
    Options

Excuse me I have a problem with this>>>>Let's get a look at the real you. You like Mac & cheese? let's see it?

This was an inappropriate comment. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed this, I apologize for making such a stupid remark.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options

This was an inappropriate comment. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed this, I apologize for making such a stupid remark.

Aw, Zebra, relax! :tongue: I ain't that easily offended.

It's not mac 'n cheese. It's Peas 'n Cheese! I love it.

http://lowersodiumsouthbeach.blogspot.com/2010/06/recipe-peas-n-cheese-south-beach-all.html