1200 calorie goal on days that I exercise?

Options
Hello group ✌

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your daily goal without taking into account purposeful exercise; it only takes into account the Activity Level you chose when you set up your goals. If you do exercise beyond your daily activity level, you are expected to log the exercise under cardiovascular and eat back some or all of the estimated Calories earned.

​Please see this article, and search for other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • NortherRIder
    NortherRIder Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cybertone, hope you can help.

I'm a triathlete and as a result train 6 times a week, actually about 13 work outs in total. I put my "activity" level at the high setting and it comes up with about 2,200 calories a day. Now my calories burned (or my exercise) are imported from my garmin. So I have all my work outs coming in also. So this program takes my 2,200 (based on active) and then adds my actual workout. Som e days I'm in the 4,500 range. My question is there a double count in the calories? If I am importing all my movements/activity even steps, should I not just set my self up as inactive?

I think I should go back and set my settings at zero activity and then have my garmin import do all the additional activity.

If you could confirm this would be great.
    Thanks in advance,
    Lach
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with leaving your activity as sedentary or lightly active (depending on your job) and then add everything else in. Since your workouts can vary from day to day, it seems to make more sense if you go by your calories imported from garmin each day.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    @NortherRIder

If you don't drop your Activity Level from Very Active, make sure you enable negative adjustments to account for the days you aren't that active.

I have used a Fitbit for six months while at maintenance. I have Enable Negative Adjustments set, and my Activity Level set at Sedentary. I have only ended the day with Fitbit subtracting Calories from my daily goal about three times, because I was sick. I usually average about 350 Calories per day earned from the Fitbit adjustment, but I have occasionally gotten about 1500 Calories earned when I have had a particularly busy day from doing manual labor plus exercising.
  • NortherRIder
    NortherRIder Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your input; very helpful.