Meat-based homemade Protein Bars or lighter Pemmican

Options
MinmoInk
MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
Hey everyone. I just ate one of these and fell in love : http://store.epicbar.com/collections/bars/products/turkeyalmondcranberrybar

So I was wondering if anyone here makes anything similar? I'm thinking pemmican but not as calorie-dense! I'm not on Keto or Paleo I just really liked the idea of a meat snack like this :)

Replies

• MinmoInk
    Options
    Bump, anyone try these at least?
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    Bump
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sounds good and I have a dehydrator, but I'm not sure how you would hold it all together. I make turkey jerky all the time. Really more like meat chips. I use thinly sliced deli meat.
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    Sounds good and I have a dehydrator, but I'm not sure how you would hold it all together. I make turkey jerky all the time. Really more like meat chips. I use thinly sliced deli meat.

I need to get a dehydrator. Does it do ground meat well?

• nwood1982
    nwood1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does, but after its really only good for rehydration in soup. Think gravel grapenuts...
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    I need to get a dehydrator. Does it do ground meat well?

I wouldn't recommend using ground meat in a dehydrator for eating as jerky items or in any way eating it "raw" (jerky is "raw" enough to be dangerous). I used to work in a slaughterhouse and the grocery meat department, trust me, you do not want to risk the danger of eating raw ground meat of any kind. The meat cuttings that go into ground meat are the bottom of the barrel, the almost out-of-date, and the grinders themselves are not particularly easy to sanitize. As a professional in that industry, I strongly advise against eating any ground meat unless it is well cooked to kill any pathogens and bacteria.