Nutrition Calculation

Options
Hi everyone. I would like to know how you calculate your % of carbs, fiber, sugar needed for weight loss. Dr wants me on low carb low/no sugar. I am not sure what "normal" would be, so not able to figure low. Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to ask your doctor for specifics.

For weight loss, you need a calorie deficit (eat less than you burn). Set that correctly first.

Adjusting macros can help adherance to said deficit. MFP lets you set macros in 5% increments. The percentage approach is quite useless, though, because your macro goals should be calculated in grams based on your lean body mass, and the amount of fat tends to stay the same, but need for protein will increase when you want to retain lean body mass during weight loss or strength training. The amount of carbs and total calories depend on your weight and activity level. "Normal" is a wide range. Humans thrive on lots of different diets. But to start you off, go for one gram of protein and one gram of fat per kilo of body weight at normal weight for your height, and fill the rest with carbs. Try that for a month and adjust if it's not working.

"No sugar" is unattainable, as there is sugar in fruit, vegetables, grains, dairy. But it's a good idea to cut back on candy, cakes and ice cream. More nutrition for your calories will make you feel full while losing weight. But don't cut out anything except being told so explicitly by your doctor.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Start with this one: http://nutritiondata.self.com/ It has complete tools to drop your doctor's jaw. The quick answer to your doctor is that you'll be eating a lot of meat and very few (low sugar) vegetables. Bread, white rice, potatoes is off your menu. The food diary on myfitnesspal can be used to plan your whole day and after you have your plan in place you can see how your macros are structured.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Donna32658 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I would like to know how you calculate your % of carbs, fiber, sugar needed for weight loss. Dr wants me on low carb low/no sugar. I am not sure what "normal" would be, so not able to figure low. Thanks!

Well low carb would be 20% or less of calories from carbs. Normal would be about 50%. With 30% protein you need 50% from fats etc.