Moving from an active job to a less active job

So my current job is very active. I do a lot of walking and carrying things heavy or light depending on the day. I'm changing to a job where I will still be on my feet quite a bit, but not walking a lot like here. I started losing weight before I came here, and got down to about 140, now I weigh between 125 and 130 depending on the day and I'm quite muscular. I'm worried about gaining weight and losing muscle with the change.

Replies

• BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Factor the change into your baseline activity in your calorie target or exercise more to make up the difference if you don't want to eat less.

I find now I pay more attention to me that I really don't want to eat the same amount on day I'm less active so it ends up not being a huge deal.

Be aware but don't stress over it.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    The thing is, I haven't counted calories in close to a year, because I was able to eat what i wanted and still lose weight. I found a happy medium, and now I will need to find a new one, and that is a bit scary for me
  • lisamarieb64mfp
    lisamarieb64mfp Posts: 18 Member
    That is one of my biggest fears (going from active to inactive) even though I am much better about my food when I'm inactive (ie during sickness or injury). In fact most of my weight loss (only talking lb here, lb there after maintenance) has came during those times and I gain them back once I return to my normal activity.
    Just keep an eye on the scale and if need be go back to tracking. You'll do fine!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Well you're not logging, so you're going to have to analyze your diet and cut something worth 200-300 calories every day, probably. So you could skip your toast in the morning or cut one of your snacks or skip the potatoes at dinner or something.

It sucks, but you might be less hungry overall too, which might help.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well you're not logging, so you're going to have to analyze your diet and cut something worth 200-300 calories every day, probably. So you could skip your toast in the morning or cut one of your snacks or skip the potatoes at dinner or something.

It sucks, but you might be less hungry overall too, which might help.

All good points. My activity dropped with a career change. I didn't notice a weight gain (because it's always up and down until I'm 5 lb up), but what I did notice was when it came time to drop 5, what worked before wasn't working. What worked for me was tightening up the accuracy of my calorie counting. Francl has good advice if you don't want to log.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    I am currently skipping breakfast. I leave early in the morning, and am not hungry anyway, so I figure that's a win win situation. I am also keeping a very small amount of food at work, so I can't snack much during the day