belly fat

Options
Hiya

I've nearly lost 2 stone over the last 2 years, and I’m getting closer to my goal (started 11st 13 now down to 10st 6 goal weight 9st 9) The problem I’m getting is getting rid of my belly fat! When i put on a couple of pounds it goes on my belly!!!

What exercise could i do to get rid of it?!!! Should i stop eating anything to get rid of it?

I was in a fitness group, and the instructor told me the way to get rid of it is to stop eating carbs but i didn't listen because i couldn’t sustain that and i like my carbs to much - I’ve cut down on bread and only get a slice or two at the weekend like a treat!

Help!!

Replies

• perfectlyimperfectturk
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think there's any spot reduction methods. According to my own experience when I gain weight it goes directly to my belly first, and when I lose weight I lose it from there first since it has the most fat. I guess we were just built like that, an apple shape per say. I'm not quite sure.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    belly/abs are definitely through diet for most part anyways with some core and strength workouts...cutting out carbs will help with it...it sucks but managed to do it , made a huge difference for me and worth it....I guess you just need to ask yourself which you want more :happy:
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You have to lower your overall body fat %. If anyone tells you there is anything you can eat, or any exercise you can do to magically burn fat from a specific area, they are full of crap. You need to eat clean, and burn body fat through exercise. Only way you'll do it.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Just keep eating at a deficit and your body will let go of it when it's ready. Probably when there's nothing left to take. If you aren't already I would incorporate strength training as in compound lifts and exercises. This style of strength training will strengthen your whole body and in the process is will strengthen your core and stablizers in the core area.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and am working on it. My understanding is that you can't target an area for fat loss. So in order to lose, you have to eat at a caloric deficit and it will eventually come off. What you can do is work on the muscle groups under the fat, so when you lose the fat, you have some definition there. So I am doing weight training and planks to work on my muscles, while eating at a slight deficit. Seems to be working, but is slow. I take measurements and pictures to track my success.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hey Sionii.

Like others have said you sadly cannot spot reduce. Which is unfortunate for my family because me and my brothers (after much hard work) look fairly thin from the back but we rock a huge belly.

What I can promise you is that with proper food intake, you will lose weight and it'll eventually go away. I would like to encourage you to take up strength training (heavy weight lifting being one of my most recommended). With strength training and proper food intake, you can retain more muscle which will give you the tight and toned look when you reach your goal weight as opposed to "skinny fat" look. If you would like to see more results of women weight lifting, checkout this thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy

Good luck :)
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can do to spot reduce. I have the same issue, even though I am down 56 pounds, most of my fat is in my belly area, thanks to poor diet for many years, heredity, and lazy azz syndrome. My fitness instructor at the gym told me to do cardio, or interval training. Something that is going to make me really sweat a lot. Maybe you could try this! Keep up the good work, hey, we are here and trying to change our lifestyles, that is all that matters!
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I dont beleive most people here, just give strength training a go from the 100s of results ive seeen they target stomach the fastest
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I carry a lot of belly fat and even at my smallest, I still had a pooch. I noticed that when i would interval regularly, it would get smaller and tighter. I would try an interval program like Couch to 5K/10K... Also, free weights and planking might help...
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, a million crunches won't help you get rid of your belly, nor any other specific exercise.. You have to drop more body fat which means you have to be in a caloric deficit.. However, you should be doing crunches and other various abs and core exercises cause once you come down to a body fat percentage low enough to show those nice abs, you'll look great..