Fibromyalgia and Weight Loss

Options
Hi !!! I am a 47 year old Mom and I have Fibromyalgia. I'm looking for others trying to lose weight with Fibro, CFS, or Chronic Pain. It's very difficult to lose weight when you can't move around alot because of pain and overwhelming fatigue. Let's support one another and motivate each other. :)

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I don't have issues with fibro but I do deal with depression and getting going some days is tough for me. I also have arthritis and bad knees.

Do you take vitamins or any type of supplements? I take iodine, colloidal silver and Vit B and D. The iodine has done wonders for my energy level but I can't take it daily. I also eat a lot of fish (baked usually). That also helps with my energy.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I don't have issues with fibro but I do deal with depression and getting going some days is tough for me. I also have arthritis and bad knees.

Do you take vitamins or any type of supplements? I take iodine, colloidal silver and Vit B and D. The iodine has done wonders for my energy level but I can't take it daily. I also eat a lot of fish (baked usually). That also helps with my energy.

If you have not had your thyroid checked recently, please do so. Depression, fatigue and weakness are three symptoms of hypothyroidism.

OP, I have fibromyalgia. I know it's a painful struggle to move but please do so. It alleviates the symptoms. Well, not at first, but it does. Just do it gradually and very gently. Walking and very gentle yoga will help. Start for 15 minutes three times a week for a month, then, if you feel able, increase it to 20 minutes or 30 minutes if you think you can.

YouTube and Amazon have some downloadable videos for beginners, some as short at 10 mins long.

Here's one place to start: http://greatist.com/move/free-online-yoga-videos
  • fibromom1969
    fibromom1969 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I haven't tried Iodine. I'm going to look into that. Thanks !!! I take a vitamin B complex every day. I just started taking an herbal weight loss too called Liporidex Max. I need something to control my appetite, at least in the beginning. I get so hungry that my stomach feels like it's eating itself. I also comfort eat when I feel bad....which is all the time. Not good. Once I get past the bad habits, this won't be as hard.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Try lifting weights. My wife has fibro and has been through chemo, and lifting has really helped her. Doctors seems to be somewhat split on this with some recommending weight training and others afraid of it. I tend to suspect that the latter group doesn't have much experience with exercersize science but I could be wrong. There are plenty of fibro suffers on these boards who have found some relief this way.

As for actually losing weight, it's a matter of taking in fewer calories than you burn, so set a reasonable calorie goal and stick with it.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Colloidal silver? Like the cause of argyria? That side effect would completely freak me out. You are a brave one.
  • fibromom1969
    Options

If you have not had your thyroid checked recently, please do so. Depression, fatigue and weakness are three symptoms of hypothyroidism.

OP, I have fibromyalgia. I know it's a painful struggle to move but please do so. It alleviates the symptoms. Well, not at first, but it does. Just do it gradually and very gently. Walking and very gentle yoga will help. Start for 15 minutes three times a week for a month, then, if you feel able, increase it to 20 minutes or 30 minutes if you think you can.

YouTube and Amazon have some downloadable videos for beginners, some as short at 10 mins long.

I've have my thyroid checked regularly. It's always normal. I always secretly hope it will come back abnormal because that's easier to treat than Fibromyalgia. A couple of weeks ago was the latest thyroid check. My thyroid was normal but my Parathyroid came back high. So they said I have hyperparathyroidism. They are checking it again in 2 weeks and if it's still high, they are doing a scan. Hyperparathyroidism is usually caused by a benign tumor that's easily removed. I don't think that's causing all my symptoms though.

I also just found out that I have Cervical Spine Stenosis. That means I have 2 disks in my neck pushing into my spinal cord. I have to have neck surgery. Ugh. But I'm hoping some of my pain will lessen with this surgery. I would never have known my spine was a problem if my hands hadn't started going numb. I blame all my pain on Fibro because I'm in pain and sick all the time so it's near impossible to tell if something else is going on.

I've tried doing light exercise. I ordered a 10 minute a day light exercise video made for people with chronic pain, Fibro, arthritis.....it's taught by an 80 year old instructor. I ended up in bed all day afterward. I guess I need to start even slower than that. I have exercise intolerance, my doctor says. Just walking through the Walmart parking lot leaves me short of breath, makes my muscles burn like they're on fire, and my heart pounding out of my chest. I'm still trying though. :)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Colloidal silver is used topically sometimes for infected open wounds.

Colloidal silver? Like the cause of argyria? That side effect would completely freak me out. You are a brave one.

Sometimes we use colloidal silver topically for infected wounds but I don't think I've ever heard of taking it internally.

From Web MD: Colloidal silver is a mineral. Despite promoters’ claims, silver has no known function in the body and is not an essential mineral supplement. Colloidal silver products were once available as over-the-counter drug products, but in 1999, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ruled that these colloidal silver products were not considered safe or effective. Colloidal silver products marketed for medical purposes or promoted for unproven uses are now considered “misbranded” under the law without appropriate FDA approval as a new drug. There are currently no FDA-approved over-the-counter or prescription drugs containing silver that are taken by mouth. However, there are still colloidal silver products being sold as homeopathic remedies and dietary supplements.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-779-colloidal silver.aspx?activeingredientid=779&activeingredientname=colloidal silver
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I've have my thyroid checked regularly. It's always normal. I always secretly hope it will come back abnormal because that's easier to treat than Fibromyalgia. A couple of weeks ago was the latest thyroid check. My thyroid was normal but my Parathyroid came back high. So they said I have hyperparathyroidism. They are checking it again in 2 weeks and if it's still high, they are doing a scan. Hyperparathyroidism is usually caused by a benign tumor that's easily removed. I don't think that's causing all my symptoms though.

I also just found out that I have Cervical Spine Stenosis. That means I have 2 disks in my neck pushing into my spinal cord. I have to have neck surgery. Ugh. But I'm hoping some of my pain will lessen with this surgery. I would never have known my spine was a problem if my hands hadn't started going numb. I blame all my pain on Fibro because I'm in pain and sick all the time so it's near impossible to tell if something else is going on.

I've tried doing light exercise. I ordered a 10 minute a day light exercise video made for people with chronic pain, Fibro, arthritis.....it's taught by an 80 year old instructor. I ended up in bed all day afterward. I guess I need to start even slower than that. I have exercise intolerance, my doctor says. Just walking through the Walmart parking lot leaves me short of breath, makes my muscles burn like they're on fire, and my heart pounding out of my chest. I'm still trying though. :)

Okay, with the spinal issue then nix my suggestion of weights. Speak to your doctor about it, but perhaps start by simply working on your walking. You can eventually try TRX straps or some bodyweight exercerses but you'll have to work up to that and, as I said, speak to your doctor first. Focus on your diet.
  • fibromom1969
    Options
    Thanks !!! That's what I was planning on....walking more. I want to get a fitbit. Right now I'm saving for vacation though so it will have to wait. Until then, I'm just going to walk down my street and back every day. :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Thanks !!! That's what I was planning on....walking more. I want to get a fitbit. Right now I'm saving for vacation though so it will have to wait. Until then, I'm just going to walk down my street and back every day. :)

Fitbits and other gadgets are nice and can be motivating, but just get out and walk! Good luck and stick with it!
  • fibromom1969
    Options

Fitbits and other gadgets are nice and can be motivating, but just get out and walk! Good luck and stick with it!

Thank you !!!!! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Walking, tai chi, water exercises... all great possible choices with fibro.
  • fibromom1969
    Options

Walking, tai chi, water exercises... all great possible choices with fibro.

Thanks !!!! :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi !!! I am a 47 year old Mom and I have Fibromyalgia. I'm looking for others trying to lose weight with Fibro, CFS, or Chronic Pain. It's very difficult to lose weight when you can't move around alot because of pain and overwhelming fatigue. Let's support one another and motivate each other. :)

@fibromom1969 welcome to MFP forums. I hear you about pain making moving hard. I was reading about weight loss problems and learned some think if our hormone Insulin is elevated that it blocks the loss of fat even eating low calorie so I am going to read up on that.

Best of success.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

@fibromom1969 welcome to MFP forums. I hear you about pain making moving hard. I was reading about weight loss problems and learned some think if our hormone Insulin is elevated that it blocks the loss of fat even eating low calorie so I am going to read up on that.

Best of success.
    Given the relationship known to exist between fibro pain and flares and insulin, this could be an interesting avenue for fibromom to explore.
  • fibromom1969
    Options

Best of success.

Let me know what you find out !!! :)
  • fibromom1969
    Options

Best of success.
    Given the relationship known to exist between fibro pain and flares and insulin, this could be an interesting avenue for fibromom to explore.

Definately !!!! I'm going to look into this. :)
  • cterratri
    cterratri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Fibromom! Would love to friend/support. I'm in a lot of the same boat except also have Celiac disease. I'm finally getting the hang of all this and would love to get to know ya!
  • fibromom1969
    Options
    cterratri wrote: »
    Hi Fibromom! Would love to friend/support. I'm in a lot of the same boat except also have Celiac disease. I'm finally getting the hang of all this and would love to get to know ya!

That would be awesome !!!