Fitting my macros HELP!!

Options
NA1979
NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
I find it easy to stay within my calorific requirements to lose weight (under most times) what I'm finding difficult is getting the right amount of macros, it's either over doing it or under doing, hence not meeting the calories, I also train intense 3-4 days a week,I can just about meet the protein requirement but find it hard to balance the other 2, if I don't meet my macros, yet train hard and stay within calories, would my aim to lose weight (about 6 lbs to go) and maintain muscle, be any different? I get approx 2000 cals a day?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't normally worry about meeting exact macros except during competition prep. Beyond that I'd rather have a little bit of flexibility to have a day with a bit extra carbs and another with a bit extra fat. If you only have 6 pounds to go protein and a minimum setting for fat should be the main concerns.
  • NA1979
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't normally worry about meeting exact macros except during competition prep. Beyond that I'd rather have a little bit of flexibility to have a day with a bit extra carbs and another with a bit extra fat. If you only have 6 pounds to go protein and a minimum setting for fat should be the main concerns.

Hi thanks for your advice, I gather protein is the most important thing, as it regards the fat are you saying is should watch that more than the carbs, be strict with my fat intake?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My rule is that I need to hit my protein goal. That's it. More is good too. Same for fat and fiber.. the more the better.

So I prelog my meals, and base my snacks around what I need... Need fat? Full fat cottage cheese or nuts or cheese. Need protein? Fat free Greek yogurt. Need fiber? I'll add fruit to either of the other two.

And I make sure to try to get at least 15g of protein for breakfast, and some fiber.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    NA1979 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

Hi thanks for your advice, I gather protein is the most important thing, as it regards the fat are you saying is should watch that more than the carbs, be strict with my fat intake?

No, you don't have to be strict with either fat or carbs. You need to ensure you are getting fat in your diet, since fat is responsible for some hormonal functions and vitamin absorption.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can set your macros to suit your own preference, so I wouldn't worry. Calories first. Then enough protein. Fat is also important, carbs least important. It probably evens out in a few days anyway? Home cooked meals is an easy way to help with good nutrition.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Thanks everyone, the message I get is as long as calories, protein and fats are the most important.