The danger of MFP working.

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Folks there is nothing wrong with MFP but there is with some info that gets posted I found out at a personal level.

I did this for 40 years and wrecked my health so please find a way to stop the yo-yo because it is a killer I can tell you at age 65. Finally more by accident I found a macro that has been working for the past 18 months. I dropped from a July 2015 starting weight of 250 down to 200 for the first time in 22 years where I have maintained without painful effort or cravings for the past 12 months.

The MD below sums up why I yo yo'ed for 40 years and wrecked my help. If it can help two of you it will be worth watching and seeing the science behind long term non yo yo'ing weight.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ETkwZIi3R7w

Keep in mind we are all different but I expect there is a macro that will enable natural weight loss and maintain it for each of it. Best of success in finding it. Of we go through life being concerned about regaining lost weight it makes the odds very high that we will regain the lost weight based on my experience those of others.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with MFP. It's the same as every diet... if you don't stick to it and reverse to your old habits, you will gain the weight back.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    This time I truly vowed to stop the yo-yo weight issues by not just being here and logging, but seeking help from my doctor. I was at 218 lbs at my heaviest. From there I went to 144 lbs. But I didn't do it the right way so I had no problem going right back up to 185 lbs. Once again I got down to 142 lbs, but once again, I hadn't done it the right way. This time I made a commitment to myself. I got back up to 165 lbs and went straight to my doctor. I was honest about the things that I had been doing to lose weight in the past and told her I didn't want to do that anymore. I want to be healthy. I want to run a half marathon. I want to enjoy food and life, and I don't want to worry. Being on MFP is a part of my program and it may always be, I don't know yet. I do know that it will be for the foreseeable future. Good luck everyone! Feel free to add me as a friend. :smiley:

Very encouraging for all to read that you are going with a doctor this time. Thanks for sharing @sarahanncarson
  • mjhellmers
    mjhellmers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    Yup! My new strategy is I picked a weight I think I'm comfortable at- don't want to get too hung up on numbers- and set calories to maintenance. That way I will learn how to eat:nourish/enjoy life and when I'm where that weight is, I won't have to change anything

I have experienced the same thing, although while I had put most of the weight I lost back on, I am still more active than before and other health markers were better as well. The weight, however, is causing issues.

If I understand you correctly, you are doing what I am doing. I figured out maintenance for my goal weight, I eat that every day. It will take much longer to lose the weight than it did the first time, not that I intentionally rushed things, but I did eat at a much larger deficit than I should have. The advantage of this in my mind is eating at my goal calories means every day I am learning how to eat the proper number of calories. When I get to my goal, or at least close to it, I will not have to change anything, just keep eating the way I have been all along. Right now my trend tracking app saying my goal weight will be reached sometime in the middle of 2017. That is fine with me. At the moment my big focus is getting my cycling endurance up so I can get in a 100K bike ride on my 50th birthday.

I started 1/4/15 and lost 75 lbs by 10/24/15 with some ups and downs. Sometime in August or September, I started C25K and made it to Week 5. I was set to 2 lbs loss per week, which helped me shed the weight even quicker...but I think it was too much, too fast. Then the holidays hit and I went back to all the old bad habits. I'm still down 33 lbs. from last year's starting weight...but that means I am up 42 from my lowest. It's amazing how quickly it comes back.

I have been thinking about setting my calories to the maintain level of my end goal for several weeks and finally decided to start that today. Best of luck to y'all.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with MFP. It's the same as every diet... if you don't stick to it and reverse to your old habits, you will gain the weight back.

Very true and that is why i stopped dieting in 2014 and started eating for health so there is no reason to ever eat more calories or different foods ever but that is covered in video above your post. Being able to lose weight yet not cut net weekly calories I think is the key for weight management for life. Science trumps myths for me.
  • GStone49
    GStone49 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Down 45, up 25 in a year. The weight seems to creep back when you stop paying attention, right? Never made it to my original goal, but this time it will be different.
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Your story is very similar to mine. I have realized that I am going to probably have to log calories on a somewhat regular basis for the rest of my life. I was maintaining very well for a while when I logged accurately at least 5 days a week. Once I quit logging, I gained back all the weight. I need to see those numbers in front of me. I need to be mindful, and this time around, I am "ok" with that. This is not just losing some vanity weight. I am determined to change my lifestyle.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I know why I regained a lot of my weight after I had used MFP before. I stopped caring about what I ate and yeah went right back into horrible eating process of consuming too many calories. MFP is a tool, but it's still the choices I make every day. Just like getting up and going to work instead of calling out sick. Make dat money, lose dat weight, every day.
  • rmtdoug
    rmtdoug Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Last year, I went from 212 to 182 lbs, on my way to 170. Last week I discovered that I gained 2 lbs since last October....Oops! (I only weigh myself when I see my doctor). I did recalculate my calories and learned that at 184 lbs I was eating about 150 calories a day more than I should, so hopefully I'm back on track for my last 14 lbs.

Even before I saw this thread, I had already decided that logging is the most important factor in weight control. I know exactly why I gained those 2 pounds and I am now making the necessary adjustments.

Until now, I hadn't really thought of what do I do when I reach goal. This thread has been so helpful to know that we are all in danger of gaining it back and it seems the key is to continue logging.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!