Vacation!

I just got back from vacation. I ate like it might be my last vacation ever! I can not even begin to estimate how much over my TDEE I ate but I enjoyed every bite and choose things that I normally wouldn't eat. I destroyed many desserts. I ate hummingbird cake for the first time (OMG was it good!). The only regret I have was not making it to a bbq place a second time!

The day I left I weighed 100 pounds. Today I weighed myself and I am 104 pounds. I am estimating that 2-3 of those pounds are water/waste still in my system. I might have gained 1-2 pounds for a week of gluttony.

Today my eating is back to normal. If I really gained a pound or two it will come off easily. I love that I can let loose for a small period of time and not worry about permanent weight gain!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Right? I love having the tools and understanding to control my body weight. People at the gym ask me why I track so meticulously and I'm like "Don't you get it? I can literally control how many pounds I want to lose or gain in a week, I can maintain my weight and eat what I want without guilt". Ahhh...data.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Right? I love having the tools and understanding to control my body weight. People at the gym ask me why I track so meticulously and I'm like "Don't you get it? I can literally control how many pounds I want to lose or gain in a week, I can maintain my weight and eat what I want without guilt". Ahhh...data.

Exactly! I just had 32 grams of toblerone - no guilt. A few years ago I would have felt bad about eating chocolate after over-indulging.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I tend to gain at about 1lb/day on vacation. My experience is the same as your estimate - half fat / half temporary bloating.
    And no regrets!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Exactly! I just had 32 grams of toblerone - no guilt. A few years ago I would have felt bad about eating chocolate after over-indulging.

Ditto. I used to feel more guilty about eating "bad" foods when I was fat, but now that I understand how treats fit into my goals, it's all a-okay.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I'm the same way. I usually prep for a vacay by eating really healthy/lower calories a couple of weeks before, then I can let loose, then I come back and get back to regular eating. I find that even if the scale is higher, it is gone within a week. It is a great thing! It's called moderation!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    kdiamond wrote: »
    I'm the same way. I usually prep for a vacay by eating really healthy/lower calories a couple of weeks before, then I can let loose, then I come back and get back to regular eating. I find that even if the scale is higher, it is gone within a week. It is a great thing! It's called moderation!

Yep, on a vacation pre-game cut now. I'll be gone for over two weeks, so it is important to bank pounds/calories. Because I am going to eat all the foods. I'm sure I will be pretty active a lot of the trip and I'll have access to a full gym second half of it, I am not sure it will completely balance out. I am concerned I will end up like my trip to Hawaii. I HAD NO IDEA HAWAIIAN FOOD WAS SO DELICIOUS. Damn you poke, Hawaiian Host, Island Lava, ahi jerky, nomnomnom...I gained 2lbs of actual fat that week despite all the activity!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    kdiamond wrote: »

Hehe! I honestly did not eat in moderation. It was glorious! The vacation weight has started to come off. I'll know soon if I had any true gain.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm leaving on a vacation with my honey in two weeks, it's our third anniversary. We're going to southern Utah for 9 days. We have 7 hikes and 3 bike rides planned, I'm debating whether to bring my own pedals with me. Will be skipping some meals in order to spend more time outdoors. I expect to lose about 5 pounds from this.

The last couple vacations we took were to mountain towns in the North Cascades, to go hiking, cycling, cross country skiing, and backpacking. I lose weight every time I go on vacation and I'm excited for this one.