Stomach exercises for people with lower back problems

Options
Hi all, I suffer from lower back pain and find doing planks/sit/press up's painful.

My stomach/thighs are where I'm overweight, so was looking for exercises that wouldn't be too stressful on my lower back. I walk as much as possible every day.

Any suggestions please? Thanks

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would ask a doctor or physiotherapist which exercises to do. Following the wrong advice could make your problems worse.

By the way, we can't target fat loss. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth". :+1:
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I might start with practicing balance techniques or correct my posture to engage my core. And then gradually work up to harder challenges. I would see a doctor if the pain stemmed from injury.

Simple things I might practice are standing tall, balancing on one leg, band pulling, squeezing my glutes... Also get fitted with good shoes or try Superfeet insoles.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My lower back tends to arch when I do floor work. I have to consciously remember to press my back on the floor or sometimes I placed a rolled towel under the small of my back. Some of the workouts where your legs are inches off the floor ...I have to raise mine higher. So basically I do slight modifications. I don't have issues with plank work though.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I suffer from lower back pain and find doing planks/sit/press up's painful.

My stomach/thighs are where I'm overweight, so was looking for exercises that wouldn't be too stressful on my lower back. I walk as much as possible every day.

Any suggestions please? Thanks

Not sure if your pain is structural, muscular, or from pinched/damaged nerves? I hurt my back a few years ago and I've found that the more core work I do to strengthen my core/abs/back, the better it does. Planks are usually a very good exercise because there is no spinal flexation like with sit-ups or crunches, which put pressure on the spine as you move past a certain degree of movement.

I was given very specific exercises/stretches to do from my doctor that helped keep my back loose, and I learned that if a keep my glutes and hamstrings stretched out well then my back stays much looser. Also, doing compound exercises like squats can engage and build your core strength, too.

Maybe visit a physical therapist that can evaluate you and give you some feedback? Most will do a free or discounted initial consultation.

Good luck!
  • Kierrasofia00
    Kierrasofia00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :) I'll visit a physical therapist and see what they suggest.