Running/walking - Sweat difference.

Options
2»

Replies

• oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way..it should take the same amount of energy to move a given weight a given distance. The difference between running and walking is that you cover more distance over a given period of time so you are burning more energy in that given amount of time. I realize this is probably not exact but theoretically it should be true. We always equate sweating and breathing hard with burning energy but its really a function of the respiratory system. You burn the same amount of energy at a slower pace as you do the quicker pace. The quicker pace does it in a shorter period of time and consequently causes the shortness of breath and the build up of heat which is regulated by sweating.

If I am wrong someone please correct me. This is the way I have always understood it.

Quite mistaken. Running, on average, expends about 25% more calories per mile than walking (unless you're race walking, which burns more per mile than running but that's due to the mechanics of race walking). On average you will burn .72 x your weight in lbs per mile running vs .57 x your weight in pounds walking.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

in addition you derive a significantly higher improvement in aerobic capacity from running than walking.

I see. I never argued the aerobic benefits. I was looking at it from a physics standpoint. I guess I need to factor in the inefficiencies of human locomotion. Running movements must be more inefficient than walking movements in order to expend so much extra energy. I didnt really look at it from that angle until now. Thanks
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot to ask - walking is one of the best methods of exercise but will running BUILD muscle?
    Not really.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Out of interest what is a good time to aim for for a) my 1st 5k b) an average 5k for a seasoned runner?

Shoot for 40-45 minutes for your first 5k. My first legitimate 5k was right about there, in the middle on winter. :D Was fun even though it hurt.

I see seasoned runners doing 5ks in the low to mid 20 minute range. My last 5k, the winner finished it in 16 and a half minutes.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A time to strive for for a first 5k is completely different person to person and weight of course is a huge factor.

When I first got up to running the 5k distance I ran 38:20. My first official 5k race (3 months later) was 29:52 pushing a 2 yearold in a jogging stroller. A year later my solo 5k (no stroller) pr is 28:02. But I haven't been working on 5ks, just working on getting my half marathon down to sub 2 hours.

Just keep at it. Work on gradually increasing running time and you'll get there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    don't use sweat or sweatiness as your guide for anything. too many outside factors are involved to make it a reliable indicator. if you're working harder then you having a greater effect on your body and sweat be damned.
    Sorry forgot to ask - walking is one of the best methods of exercise but will running BUILD muscle?

of course not.