Name a food and tell us your connection to it, why you love

Options
Cheese, Italian, love it. Makes me feel like a kid, my kids now love it as much as I do! Havent met a cheese yet I dont love...:flowerforyou:

Replies

• swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I conquered cheese! woot! I work at Albertsons and the chocolate chip cookies we give the kids are to die for but at 130 calories a cookie and I could eat like 4 a day it kills me!!!
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I conquered cheese! woot! I work at Albertsons and the chocolate chip cookies we give the kids are to die for but at 130 calories a cookie and I could eat like 4 a day it kills me!!!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Pizza! It's the perfect food. Where else can you get all 4 food groups in one dish? :laugh:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Baked Mac & Cheese... homemade w/ at least 6 different cheeses. It's creamy, warm. yummy & just reminds me of my childhood.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Potatoes! I grew up in Russia ..and my grandma used to make pirogies with meat or cream cheese or potatoes. Also pelmenies, they are like ravioli, with either meat or cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    Pizza! It's the perfect food. Where else can you get all 4 food groups in one dish? :laugh:

Thats FUNNY! If my fiance were reading this he'd agree...he would eat pizza morning/noon/night every day of the year if he could! :-)
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Homemade macaroni and cheese, cassarole style. I make it about once a year, and it's AWESOME. I'm connected to it because that's the first meal my step-dad showed me how to make. Everytime he made it, we'd make it together. Our relationship has changed a lot since then....so it's a good memory to hold on to. I know it's dangerous food, that's why it's only once a year. :bigsmile:
  • ardaniels0417
    Options
    You reminded me of another fav. My grandmother use to make the most delicious italian donuts called pizza frit. I can remember standing on her red step stool beside her helping her kneed the dough. After we fried them we covered them with cinnamon sugar. I know fried and sugar in one treat. But it makes me just feel like Im 5 again... and that is good.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You reminded me of another fav. My grandmother use to make the most delicious italian donuts called pizza frit. I can remember standing on her red step stool beside her helping her kneed the dough. After we fried them we covered them with cinnamon sugar. I know fried and sugar in one treat. But it makes me just feel like Im 5 again... and that is good.

Zeppoli? My ex-husband was Italian & they always made this... it could be plain... cin & sugar... or stuffed.
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    Funny... I make a wicked mac and cheese too... my kids, now grown, love it and when visiting, want it over anything else. I've changed a couple things in the recipe over the past few years, but nothing can replace the sharp aged cheddar. Low fat cheese doesn't work right.

I used to put ham chunks in mine, but now use low fat smoked turkey sausage chunks and it still tastes good. I also use low fat milk in the cheese sauce base, and instead of 3 tbsp of butter, use 1 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp olive oil to make the roux... again, this reduces sat. fat a bit without sacrificing taste. I have also experimented with whole wheat pasta, which isn't bad at all, but it doesn't look quite right, and appearance counts when you're making a favorite family meal. The other substitutions work OK... the dish still tastes rich and cheesy.

No question... it's my family's favorite comfort food. It has to have a lot of that excellent cheddar in it... so even with my concessions of a few healthier substitutes, it's still a sledgehammer of dairy fat. But you know... some things need to be what they are and if this means I don't make it often and must eat less, so be it.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Gefilte fish. That stuff... is so delicious. Passover or not, I LOVE that stuff. A lot of other Jewish people think it's gross... but I dig it. My aunt always has the little bite-sized ones at Passover and sometimes other holidays... I could eat a whole jar :-P