Gaining weight when i exercise?

Options
Snow__White
Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
Ok i don't know what's wrong with my body,but when i exercise and push myself really hard my scale doesnt move or goes up 2-3 lbs? and when i don't exercise i lose 1-2 lbs a week? why is this happening? am i doing something wrong?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A couple of things come to mind.

Strenuous exercise causes your body to store water in muscle tissue for repair and to replenish glycogen reserves in anticipation of the next demand for fuel (1g of glycogen bonds with 3g of water).

Are you eating back your exercise calories? Depending on how reliable the estimate of your caloric expenditure is you may actually be inadvertently eating above maintenance which may account for a very small part of the gain (or lack of loss).

Personally I'm inclined to think that reason #1 is the answer.

Keep in mind that you don't need to exercise to lose weight, exercise promotes fitness which is, in itself, a worthy goal.
  • Snow__White
    Options
    Thank you so much :drinker:
    I dont eat all of my cals back,just half or less :)
    so do i stop exercising lose the weight and then tone my body?
    or just not exercise as much?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    if you're weighing yourself multiple times a day, it is just your body weight fluctuating through out the day which is normal.
  • Snow__White
    Options
    if you're weighing yourself multiple times a day, it is just your body weight fluctuating through out the day which is normal.
    I knew about that :) which is why i only weigh in once a week,but thank you:flowerforyou:
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    building muscle? water retention? simply a plateau where you might gain or lose a few lbs daily/weekly but are staying fairly constant over a longer period of time?

Measure yourself and see if there's a difference in inches not just weight.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much :drinker:
    I dont eat all of my cals back,just half or less :)
    so do i stop exercising lose the weight and then tone my body?
    or just not exercise as much?

By all means don't stop exercising, there's far more to good health than the number on a scale.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ok i don't know what's wrong with my body,but when i exercise and push myself really hard my scale doesnt move or goes up 2-3 lbs? and when i don't exercise i lose 1-2 lbs a week? why is this happening? am i doing something wrong?

its normal for the scale to fluctuate at least 5 lbs..there are so many factors that influence your total body weight (eg: hydration, time of day..etc) you're better off monitoring your bodyfat % to assess your progress.