Slimfast/liquid meal replacements

Options
Anyone else doing slimfast or other liquid meal replacement?

Replies

• jenna_marston
    jenna_marston Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm on slender blend.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing GNC's but switching to Fitmiss. I only do this BC I have a job where 2 days a week I can't leave my desk. I actually like the shakes.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I did a shake program and lost 20 lbs in 2 months with only 25-30ish that needed to be lost in the first place, but because I didn't learn to chg my eating habits as soon as I got off the shake regime I gained it all back with interest fast:(
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I like food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I like food.

Me too. Lost 50 pounds while eating, and kept off for 17 months... eating. Food.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Complete con. Avoid if I were you...
  • coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have been on Slimfast since 4/8/16. So far, looks like 4 lb.lost. need to buy a new scale, though. Way off, compared to my doctors office' digital scale. Going to make it a point to weigh myself at work, every week, which prob be more accurate. Slow results so far, but need to increase the exercise. Excited to begin this new journey. Used it 13 years ago , a few months before my wedding, lost some weight, felt good, bikerode around the neighborhood, too.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I use PhD woman meal replacement protein, I have it blended with fruit and unsweetened almond milk for breakfast and really keeps me full until lunch! I think, when used correctly, shakes can be beneficial to weight loss.
  • kaitlinfurby13
    kaitlinfurby13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it a couple of months now and lost almost 20 pounds. I weigh and measure everything I do eat though and am currently transitioning to making my own smoothies at home. I will probably always use slim fast if I'm in a hurry though. I'm not worried about gaining it back because I plan to log whatever I eat for forever hopefully.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for lunch, but I buy my own powder and add my own things. I don't subscribe to anything special, i'm not that rich.
  • Nausicca55
    Nausicca55 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Problem is, I can't live on Slim Fast the rest of my life, and will gain back the weight loss as soon as I go back to normal food. Not to mention that using Slim Fast or any other shake I spend 95% of my day in the bathroom.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like to have a protein shake at breakfast, along with fruit or oatmeal. It's quick and easy and helps me get a lot of fiber early in the day. I will sometimes add them as snacks if I feel like I need a boost but I do mostly weigh and measure my food.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I did a shake program and lost 20 lbs in 2 months with only 25-30ish that needed to be lost in the first place, but because I didn't learn to chg my eating habits as soon as I got off the shake regime I gained it all back with interest fast:(

This^

Been there, done that. The problem with meal replacements is that they don't teach you anything you need to know for maintenance.

I'm fat because my portions are too big. Slim Fast doesn't address portions. I need to know calorie values for "regular food." I get why this was popular back in the 70's - logging food in a paper journal was a pain. Now we have websites that make it so much easier. Shakes are great for a missed meal here and there, but not a steady diet.

Too often temporary changes = temporary weight loss.

#TRUTH

Problem is, since they don't teach you how to adjust your eating habits, they're only good as long as you keep drinking them. If you stop and go back to your old eating habits, you'll end up back at the higher weight.

Not saying never use them! Meal replacement shakes have their place. They're good as occasional replacements, and a lot of people prefer one for breakfast, which works well. I use them when I'm sick or have had dental work as way to get some calories and nutrition in me when I'm unable to actually eat. But I wouldn't recommend using shakes as full meal replacements consistently. It ends up costing a lot of money for a short-term, temporary solution. If you want to go that route, at least take the time to also learn how to adjust your food portions and how to balance your calories over the day without the shakes. It'll be much easier to keep the weight off that way!
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I have a protein shake for lunch, but I buy my own powder and add my own things. I don't subscribe to anything special, i'm not that rich.

This. On occasion, I'll have a protein almond milk shake because it feels like a treat. I can't see my forever lifestyle being so liquid.
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Eating real food will satisfy you more and if you eat the right foods you will lose weight.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I use shakes for lunch. Soylent or Super Body Fuel, sometimes add protein powder to them. I don't like Slimfast because it has a sh- ton of added sugar.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I use them, but not as meal replacements usually*. I like the Fitmiss one, because it has a decent amount of protein (16 g in the powder...I looked at slim fast but it only has 2g protein unless you add milk) and it has vitamins. My diet isn't always balanced very well, so a protein shake that adds vitamins as well is helpful.

*I say usually, because there are days where I get so busy that throwing together a shake is more appealing then cooking.