Giving up alcohol

Options

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I binge drink weekly and lose weight if that's my goal. Watch what you eat if you like to drink.

I like to ride my bike to pick up my alcohol as a way of "paying" for it as it's an 8 mile round trip. In retrospect I probably just look like a guy who lost his license from a DUI, so... yeah.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Ive seen results before when I've stopped drinking. I've been really struggling with this lately, I need to cut down my alcohol intake to once a week again. Does anyone have any tips to help me with this..

If you think you will lose better without the drinks and want to cut down, what makes it a struggle? Understanding that would help us give you tips and might help you think it through so you don't need them. I think being concrete about the reasons you want to do something and what the benefits are is helpful. It really shouldn't be that tough to do something you enjoy once a week vs. every evening.

One thing that helped me when I quit drinking (I quit because I needed to) was replacing the wine with something else special to drink. I'd drink sparkling water or homemade unsweetened but flavored iced tea in wine glasses. Sounds silly, but it did help.

Edit: I see others had the same idea. I feel less weird!

Thanks for the advice! I also think maybe the drinks I'm drinking could be playing a factor in my weight loss. I love rum and coke, but it's really fatty. Maybe if I pick a lighter drink that would also help. I also only used to drink socially, it wasn't until I lived on my own that I started the habit so I was able to keep the weight off before because I wasn't doing it on a regular basis.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    Amym26 wrote: »
    I guess I have to agree, what exactly are you looking for? If you know drinking is affecting your goals, then just stop.
    I personally do not drink any of my calories. It's just not worth it to me. Others may disagree.
    Just do what works for you.

I was just reaching out hoping maybe someone who had gone through the same thing could tell me what did, if they just up and quit or did it in moderation. Even if you know what you need to do it's always good to have others opinions
  • dbmeyers23
    dbmeyers23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue...and no, your not an alcoholic and I'm not either. But...it is much harder to lean out when you have a few drinks each day. I try to not drink more than a few beers a week...and I'll have wine or a few whiskeys or vodkas instead to cut calories. I enjoy social drinking..but I also eat pretty good and workout harder than most. It's tough doing everything "right". My plan is just cut back...if I go out with friends have just 1-2 instead 3-5. It's kind of bad timing for me because I'm going with friends to myrtle beach next week for a golf trip.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    I binge drink weekly and lose weight if that's my goal. Watch what you eat if you like to drink.

I like to ride my bike to pick up my alcohol as a way of "paying" for it as it's an 8 mile round trip. In retrospect I probably just look like a guy who lost his license from a DUI, so... yeah.

Okay, I'm sorry but that made me laugh LOL
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Amym26 wrote: »
    I guess I have to agree, what exactly are you looking for? If you know drinking is affecting your goals, then just stop.
    I personally do not drink any of my calories. It's just not worth it to me. Others may disagree.
    Just do what works for you.

I was just reaching out hoping maybe someone who had gone through the same thing could tell me what did, if they just up and quit or did it in moderation. Even if you know what you need to do it's always good to have others opinions

Don't buy bottles. Buy smaller things the days you want to drink. If it's not available you can't drink it.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Hey this might help to keep in mind, when your body is burning off the alcohol it's not burning the fat. 1oz of alcohol can take your body an hour to process.
  • rachelsanantonio
    rachelsanantonio Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can ruin a good week of healthy eating with one day of sweets and booze....at least, I can :|
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    dbmeyers23 wrote: »
    I have the same issue...and no, your not an alcoholic and I'm not either. But...it is much harder to lean out when you have a few drinks each day. I try to not drink more than a few beers a week...and I'll have wine or a few whiskeys or vodkas instead to cut calories. I enjoy social drinking..but I also eat pretty good and workout harder than most. It's tough doing everything "right". My plan is just cut back...if I go out with friends have just 1-2 instead 3-5. It's kind of bad timing for me because I'm going with friends to myrtle beach next week for a golf trip.

I feel you, I'm supposed to go camping this weekend with some friends and I know everyone will be drinking so I'm just going to try not to drink as much as I normally would, but still have a good time.

• Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have to restrict my alcohol while losing weight. I tend to make bad decisions concerning what and how much I'm eating after a few drinks, but that's just me.
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I wouldn't say I have a drinking problem or anything like that. I have about 1 or 2 drinks when I get home, I have more on the weekends. I know that this is the main thing that's holding me back. I have a reasonable diet other than that. Ive seen results before when I've stopped drinking. I've been really struggling with this lately, I need to cut down my alcohol intake to once a week again. Does anyone have any tips to help me with this..

OoOoOOOOhhh, this is such a intresting subject because i use to drink all the time LITERALLY! i mean wake up drink, at work drink, drink go to sleep. i finally hit rock bottom, lower then low but i finally seen my faults and sobered up 3 yrs since i had a drink now
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Um, not to be totally naïve here but if it is that hard to give up the drinking is it not a problem? I know I have a problem with chocolate personally. Alcohol I can take or leave!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    There are many strong opinions on alcohol. You will note some feel the need to either label you and/or make judgement calls based on the limited data you've provided.

A few drinks after work is quite popular. Insanely so really.

If the extra calories in the alcohol is hindering your weight loss, then you should make some sort of change. Spend more calories, drink half as much, research low-cal alcohol drinks, eat a bit less (make sure to get nutrition).

A lot of it will depend on WHAT you are drinking. We can be talking 80 calories to 600 calories per drink depending on what.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

I feel you, I'm supposed to go camping this weekend with some friends and I know everyone will be drinking so I'm just going to try not to drink as much as I normally would, but still have a good time.

Last comment and I sincerely wish you well.

http://www.cbsnews.com/media/are-you-an-almost-alcoholic-10-signs-you-might-have-a-problem/
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Um, not to be totally naïve here but if it is that hard to give up the drinking is it not a problem? I know I have a problem with chocolate personally. Alcohol I can take or leave!

Everyone has there Vices

• MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

http://www.cbsnews.com/media/are-you-an-almost-alcoholic-10-signs-you-might-have-a-problem/

Lol thank you for caring so much about my "drinking problem"
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »

There's a continuum here in terms of no problem, mild issues, heavy drinkers, drunks, functioning alcoholics, etc., and unfortunately like we see in the forums all the time, if you're accustomed to seeing nails then you're going to always grab a hammer. The problem is that it is awfully off putting to label anyone looking to cut back as an alcoholic whether you use that label or not.

Many people feel social pressure to drink and don't want to be "that guy" because "that guy" will find himself uninvited to events. The trick is to drink in moderation, drink water between drinks, order a "cocktail" of soda water and lime, and pour shots into plants occasionally. If anyone thinks the solution is to "find new friends" then my guess is that you're not very good at business development.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options

I also wasn't saying anywhere that I NEED to drink to have a good time.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but if you need tips to cut down on alcohol, you have a drinking problem. I suggest you seek help and address the reason you have to drink every night. Seriously, do it before it becomes a bigger issue. I have a couple relatives that have struggled with alcohol and I have seen the devastation is can bring.

addiction does NOT correlate with amount of consumption. you have NO right to label someone for having a drinking problem. I drink 5 nights sometimes more sometimes less a week. I probably SHOLDNT drink everyday but tell my 3.8 gpa in my masters program, healthy relationship with my friends, family, and husband, my grade A blood work, all my paid bills that I have a drinking problem. NOPE.

The question is: could you NOT drink for an extended period of time? My husband is a fully functioning alcoholic. Alcolhol doesn't impair his life whatsoever, but he can't go without it, not for a single day.

Mine too. He has a few each night and a few more each weekend. It's not that he drinks a lot, it's that he simply can't go a night without any. He's been this way for 20+ years.
  • whittling
    whittling Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm psyched to see this thread, because in my experience, alcohol is always the white elephant in the room. It really isn't good for anyone to consume, but it's insidious in so many cultures regardless what side of the puddle you're on that it kind of goes without saying that we nearly all do it.

For awhile I'd added a category for alcohol to my tracker and started measuring, in ounces, each drink so I could track the calories. (Those of you who think vodka has fewer than wine must drink less vodka than wine...just saying, try tracking). Needless to say, seeing it on paper (rather just thinking, hmmm, there are some calories in this martini, probably...) curtailed my particular habit.

Anyway. I'm just glad to see the dialogue, and that there are folks courageous enough to contribute to it. Thanks for that.