Do you use your exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How do you get your weekly deficit? Is there somewhere on this app that shows or i need to bring out a calculator and calculate each day?

I got mine by signing up with MFP, entering my details, and selecting that I wanted to lose a certain amount of weight each week.

When I hit Submit, MFP gave me my maximum calories ... that's the most I can eat (without exercise) and still lose the amount of weight I selected.

Assuming that 1 lb = 3500 calories, and assuming that a person selects to lose 1 lb/week, their deficit would be 500 calories per day. Using the details you provided to MFP, MFP will calculate your maintenance calories, and then subtract the 500 cal/day to give you the required deficit.

Exercising gives you more calories to work with.

When you enter your food and exercise, MFP tells you whether you've got over your max calories or not.

Look at the information under the various tabs ...

MyHome > check Goals, Check-In, and Settings in particular
    Food
    Exercise
    Reports
    Apps

Or did I misunderstand your question ... evidently, in the MFP app(??) there is a "Weekly" selection, but it is not available on the desktop version.
  • barcardibird
    barcardibird Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm going to go with eating at least half back as recommended by most. Thank you
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't use them, mostly because I set my base calorie intake pretty high already - 2000 (trying to lose weight slowly) with the assumption that I will get lots of exercise within that base calorie rate. I have found in the past that when I give myself permission to eat more when I exercise more, I tend to over-value exercise to the detriment of my health (I'm rehabbing some injuries and tend to push myself when I shouldn't). I love to exercise, so I know I will do it without needing the extra motivation of being able to eat extra calories. Also, I'm on the keto diet, and it can already be difficult for me to eat the 2000 calories I already have within my macros (5% carbs, 75% fats, 20% protein, with no more than 30g protein at each meal), so I definitely don't need more calories to bother with.
  • RodneyCornelius
    RodneyCornelius Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've gone with eating back 35% of my calories (I just did some calculations this morning).

By eating them back, for me that means that I have a pre- and post-workout snack.

I might raise it to 50% after I meeting my Phase 1 goal, but by then I want to lose weight more slowly. I've been able so far to lose fat and not muscle, but I try to watch of all this stuff very carefully. Thankfully, with MFP and other tools, I have no shortage of data to look at.
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Day 50 yesterday was the second time I dipped into my exercise calories. If my body says eat, I eat if it doesn't then I don't. My mental play now with food is I see it as fuel not as something I desire but it is something I need so if I am empty I cannot move. Something is working I am down 35 plus pounds since I started CICO with MFP.
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No I use them for toning and weight loss.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I generally eat at least half of them back - sometimes more, sometimes less. This past week I made an effort to eat back less than half of the calories, and had a tremendous loss for the week. So I think I'm going to stick with eat no more than a 1/3rd back for another week and see if it could be a trend or a fluke.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I ate the calories back when I was losing and eat them back now that I'm maintaining as well. I use a FitBit so the adjustment is calculated when the two systems sync.

I'm a 5'2 female and I lost 30 lbs eating 1600-1900 cals with the adjustments, for what it's worth...