To jog or not to jog....that is the question!

Options
2»

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you about my first experience with "running"/jogging.

June of 2000 I just decided to do it. My dad had started running regularly and had lost a TON of weight, then my little brother started doing it. I was a bit "soft" and figured, why not follow suit and try it out?

It was SO HARD at the beginning. but I had a plan and i stuck with it. i told myself I would go out for 30 min every day for 2 weeks. EVERY DAY. 30 min did not mean 30 min of running, it just meant "leave the house for 30 min"

There was an elementary school 2 blocks from our house and so I would go to the little (not regulation size) track. The first time I went out, I could barely make it once around the track. So would run one lap, walk a lap, run a lap, walk a lap (or two if i was tired by then) for 30 min.

I ended up doing 18 days in a row (instead of 2 weeks like i had planned) and by the end I was easily able to run 10+ laps around the track without stopping. I found my endurance increased really really rapidly. It was really fun to challenge myself, and because it was a small track, it was easier to do.. "this time I'll try to do 1.5 laps and walk the last half, then start running again" a few days later " I'll run 2 laps, walk a lap"...

Now that I run more regularly, I think that tracks are SO BORING, I'd much rather do a trail run, or even a street run, but it was good motivation to see how much I was improving.

Also, another HUGE TIP, is to use an ipod when you run. the tempo of the music enourages me up hills, and it keeps me from getting bored.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I started out not being able to run 3 minutes straight and now I can run 2 miles.

I love it! I hope you do too.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I bet you love it...not at first...no one loves it at first...but for me jogging was the best thing I ever started...and I would see results faster than hours of taebo etc....

I wish you the best...all of you new runners....I'm actually getting back on the running horse myself....I went for 3 miles yesterday w/ pushing my 48lb son in a jogger uphill for at least half of the run...lmbo...I was like I'm not gonna make this...I'm not gonna make this....I made this! I made this! it was amazing....
    baby steps...or baby jogs...lol you'll get there!!!

hugs and so happy for you!
    Ali
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    SONIA, WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THE ASICS SHOES? ALL WE HAVE IS WALMART, K-MART, SHOE CARNIVAL IN THIS AREA. THANKS,
    JOY
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    SONIA, WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THE ASICS SHOES? ALL WE HAVE IS WALMART, K-MART, SHOE CARNIVAL IN THIS AREA. THANKS,
    JOY
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would take up jogging. But I started 10 years ago - the day after I quit smoking. I found that I needed to do some extra knee stengthening exercises because I had a knee injury quite some time ago and seemed to favor one leg. Other than that it just came down to perserverance.

Every day I run I curse about having do it. I don't like it the entire time I am doing it.

and yet I feel so incredibly fabulous when I am done that I know I have do it again, and again, and again...I have grown to love the sound of my breath, feet on the pavement, the alone time, and seeing the early morning sun when no one is moving about yet.

It's not for everyone, but I think you should give it a shot. Just invest in good training bras and shoes. If you find that your like me and still don't love it, but love the results it might work for you. If you just plain end of loving it - you're all the better.