Losing motivation

2»

Replies

• faycoughlan
    faycoughlan Posts: 9 Member
    zepeda11 wrote: »
    Definitely raise your calories to maintenance. You will feel so much better. Your hormones will thank you. You may even lose weight during maintenance. Enjoy your self you deserve it. Then go back on the calorie deficit and tackle those last 20 pounds.

Thank you
  • SnappyDresser
    SnappyDresser Posts: 549 Member
    edited April 2016
    Take a short break, donate / sell items that no longer make you happy, organize your life a bit and enjoy yourself.

THAT, is great advice! It's what I did Jan 1st thru end of March. Very rewarding and enjoyable to relax then to clear the clutter to clear the mind to be ready again for more good change. I believe we need to take a break and just maintain the lost weight to allow body time to adapt. I did lose about 5 more lbs during that 3 months without trying, and the loss was comfortable, and now am ready to start again and lose the last 14-16 lbs. Started back very focused on the 30th, and have been doing what body builders do (edit), by adding on a hip weight belt of 15 lbs (3 5lb Reebok ankle wts strapped together & worn low on my hips) which adds no weight on my spine issues. Body builders use up to 120 lb weighted vests though, but I can't do that. Fools the body into working harder, and sure feels good to instantly lose the 15 lbs when you take it off after workout. Gave me a new perspective on my overall weight loss, esp feeling what the extra 15 lbs felt like to carry it around.

Good luck, it'll work out for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You're not alone... For me it's 5 pounds from my goal, lol. But I see my shar pei stomach and just wonder what's the point of losing more, sure I'd love to lose a bit of fat on my hips, but my stomach is just looking worse as I lose... so yeah... not much motivation right there (plus losing 5 pounds will probably not make any difference in anything else anyway).

I don't suggest eating at maintenance though... I suggest eating at maintenance for your goal weight... otherwise you're just training yourself to overeat again (as you'll get used to eating more than what you'll need to maintain eventually).
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Your stats are similar to mine...I started at 242lbs, currently 167, and shooting for 145lbs. It's taken me about 3 years because I lose motivation from time to time too. Taking a break does help. It may delay your time getting to your goal, but better that than to get discouraged and give up completely. Sometimes I've found it also helps along the way to take diet breaks as you go. For every 10-15 I lose, I either do a week at maintenance, or a weekend eating as reasonably as I can and not weighing everything. I'm back for my last 22lbs..you'll get there! Just do what works for you! Two years is a long time without a break, so you obviously don't lack dedication! Best of luck!
  • Kara_Mia1223
    Kara_Mia1223 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Omg! Look at how far you've come! You only have a little ways to go before maintaining your weight & you've got this! :) It's alway harder to lose weight when you don't have as much to lose, that's normal. Pat yourself on the back & keep up the good work!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I've felt that way before in the past when trying to lose weight. I would say that if you are happy where you are then why not start maintaining? You look great! Maybe you could try switching things up a bit. Sometimes it's easy to get in a rut when we get close to our goal weight. You may have hit a plateau. I always tell myself I don't want to go back to where I was and that usually gets me going.