What are the different parts of a barbell called?

Options
whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
Dumb newbie question, but I can't find this online. What is a collar? Is it the part of the bar that the plate is pushed up against when loaded onto the bar, or is it the spring-loaded thingy that you put on to keep the plate from sliding off the bar? I have seen both of these things called collars. And what is a knurling? Anyone have a picture or diagram with the different parts of the barbell labelled?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    The collar is pretty much a collar, it goes onto the ends of the barbell locking the weights in place. A clip is the spring that you mentioned which serves the exact same purpose. I personally prefer springs due to their convenience. The knurling on the bar is the areas with added grip opposed to the smooth sections. Good questions though. Knowledge is power.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    collar is the lock some put after loading plates on a bar - knurling are ring marks on olympic bars (and some powerlifting bars now) in the middle of the grip - use and point of it remains uncertain and pointless if you ask me.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Probably in order to determine the centre of the bar so that its seated correctly and also being lowered to your chest as centered as possible
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Some powerlifting federations use the smooth rings to regulate the width that your grip can be for bench press. I have always used it as a reference point to remember the proper grip width for the lift that I am doing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    some collars are weighted some aren't.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a pic with the different parts of the barbell labeled?