Is anyone eating back most of their exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Some exercise machines are going to be very accurate!

Often the clue is they tell you power output.
    Or they may have been calibrated against a sample of people in a lab to produce calorie tables using weight/resistence/speed/incline etc. (e.g. some ellipticals)
    Or they have been around so long there are decades of data to use (concept2 rower as an example).
    Or they use standard and well proven formulas.

perhaps but I've read more than a few articles where the machine makers admitted to inflating the burn

Here is one

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/how-accurate-are-calorie-counters/article573069/

That article doesn't actually support your original blanket assertion though.
    Even the statement in the article "some use averages" means low for some, accurate for some, high for some.
    If you had put "some machines over estimate" or "use machine estimates with caution/apply common sense" I would completely agree (ditto for HRM estimates as an aside).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Or they may have been calibrated against a sample of people in a lab to produce calorie tables using weight/resistence/speed/incline etc. (e.g. some ellipticals)
    Or they have been around so long there are decades of data to use (concept2 rower as an example).

perhaps but I've read more than a few articles where the machine makers admitted to inflating the burn

Here is one

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/how-accurate-are-calorie-counters/article573069/

Even the statement in the article "some use averages" means low for some, accurate for some, high for some.
    If you had put "some machines over estimate" or "use machine estimates with caution/apply common sense" I would completely agree (ditto for HRM estimates as an aside).

I personally wouldn't trust an exercise machine calorie burn ever.

There are too many factors involved and they admitted to it...as a sales tactic.

Regardless of the formula used they admitted to inflating them.

And there is no way for them to be accurate based on data entered due to many variables.

But not gonna argue about it...I know what I've read and I know what I have seen.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Here is one

I personally wouldn't trust an exercise machine calorie burn ever.

There are too many factors involved and they admitted to it...as a sales tactic.

Regardless of the formula used they admitted to inflating them.

And there is no way for them to be accurate based on data entered due to many variables.

But not gonna argue about it...I know what I've read and I know what I have seen.

That's a shame as you are discarding and dismissing potentially the most accurate way of estimating calories for people outside of a sports science lab.
    The variables using power as basis for the estimates are actually very few and just as likely to cause under estimation as over.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I accept the calories from Runtastic and fit Bit as fairly accurate and as long as I was honest with my calorie estimates I would consistently lose weight (50 Pounds). I aim to be slightly under my goal and that worked for me. None of my calories are from machine estimates but I would use an estimate from MFP for weight lifting. I never use the best or highest calorie number when estimating. Same for foods, when estimating I never use the lowest calorie number.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I accept the calories from Runtastic and fit Bit as fairly accurate and as long as I was honest with my calorie estimates I would consistently lose weight (50 Pounds). I aim to be slightly under my goal and that worked for me. None of my calories are from machine estimates but I would use an estimate from MFP for weight lifting. I never use the best or highest calorie number when estimating. Same for foods, when estimating I never use the lowest calorie number.

Yes, I do the same with calories. I don't have the ability to weigh my food right now so I just guesstimate on the high side.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I typically only eat half back, if that. I am not 100% trusting of the accuracy of the burn. I use numbers from MFP and such to provide a guesstimate on what I am doing, and judge ultimately based on the scale. If its moving down, great, going up then changes are made, staying the same, then slight tweaks.
  • jandsstevenson887
    Options
    I've consistently lost 1lb/week and that's what I have my settings on.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Because I am and it still seems to be working. I had no idea that I shouldn't be before coming on the boards. I have my activity set to lightly active and I eat back most (somedays all) of my exercise earned calories and still seem to be losing. Am I alone?

I try not to but I dont feel bad if I eat a little extra when I do
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to be able to eat back your exercise calories. If it's working for you, then your activity level is set correctly and you're golden. I used to eat back all of my cardio calories, but I never claimed my strength training calories. That worked for me. Everyone is going to be different.

Generally the reason people suggest not eating back all of the exercise calories has to do more with the calories being overestimated, not because you shouldn't. If you're getting your calorie burns from a reliable source, there is no reason not to eat them all back.

I'm glad you've found what works for you. :smile:
    57611793.png

I just wanted to say that you look great. Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I often eat back all and sometimes more! of my exercise calories. Not because I want to but, exercise seems to make me super hungry- it is very frustrating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I know they probably aren't perfect, that's why I tweak them based on what my machine says and Runkeeper says. And I try to leave some gap in there. You can look at my diary and see that some days I have 200-300 left.

Just so you are aware machines are known to be over by about 25-75% as well...can't guarantee those.

I used my HRM on the treadmill once (steady cardio) and I got a number that was 20% higher than the treadmill in the end. And my home bike estimates match my HRM 100%.

So no, all machines don't always overestimate calorie burn.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I don't. I like to keep my calories consistent; it's easier to form a habit that way. I'm early in the process, though, and notice after hard work that I feel extra-hungry, so I do eat extra when I feel that way. Unfortunately, I didn't finish logging that day.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I know they probably aren't perfect, that's why I tweak them based on what my machine says and Runkeeper says. And I try to leave some gap in there. You can look at my diary and see that some days I have 200-300 left.

Just so you are aware machines are known to be over by about 25-75% as well...can't guarantee those.

I used my HRM on the treadmill once (steady cardio) and I got a number that was 20% higher than the treadmill in the end. And my home bike estimates match my HRM 100%.

where did I say "all machines overestimate"

I said machines are known to be over.

and does your HRM have a chest strap?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Polar 4 so yes.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Polar 4 so yes.

and that's fine but I didn't say "all machines over estimate"...however there are a lot of cases where they are over estimates and when people finally figure it out they are ticked.

http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/your-exercise-equipment-lying-you-about-calories-youre-burning
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    When I started on this site, I knew nothing about weight loss/exercise calories/BMR/TDEE/macros, or much of anything else related.

I used this site exactly as it was spitting out numbers for me. I lost 70ish pounds in total, using the numbers MFP generated, AND eating every single calorie "earned" by exercise. This worked fine for me. It requires using verified food entries - but it worked and continues to work for me now nine years later.

I don't understand all the debate around it, but maybe because I just followed directions and it worked. ::dunno::

I think the most important thing is daily records. Accurate daily records. Control what you can, like food logging. Get a month's worth of data and then adjust up or down by 100 calories for the next month if you aren't getting the expected results.
  • jandsstevenson887
    Options
    When I started on this site, I knew nothing about weight loss/exercise calories/BMR/TDEE/macros, or much of anything else related.

I used this site exactly as it was spitting out numbers for me. I lost 70ish pounds in total, using the numbers MFP generated, AND eating every single calorie "earned" by exercise. This worked fine for me. It requires using verified food entries - but it worked and continues to work for me now nine years later.

I don't understand all the debate around it, but maybe because I just followed directions and it worked. ::dunno::

I think the most important thing is daily records. Accurate daily records. Control what you can, like food logging. Get a month's worth of data and then adjust up or down by 100 calories for the next month if you aren't getting the expected results.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping. It seems like it can work.
  • becca1380461
    becca1380461 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmriverside! This site is a tool to help us do what RD's have been doing for ages using pencil and paper! Measure your calories in and calories out. If that is what you use it for then you're going to be successful. Do your best to accurately log EVERYTHING (soda, coffee creamer, little bites here and there) and you're going to do great! Early on I found my will power kicking in and not eating something because I didn't want to have to log it! HA! I used that little inconvenience as a reason to say no!

I do eat back my exercise calories. I make it a point to over estimate calories consumed (1.5 pieces of bacon when I only eat 1) especially on calorie dense food like nuts (serving size is 28 grams but I measure to 25 nad yes I weigh my food). Then I underestimate my calories burned. If I run a mile at 5.5 mph on the treadmill I'll use that time (11min/mile) and put it into MFP at 5.0MPH. Or I usually swim a 2700 work out in 1hr 15 min but I put in a minute per 50meters and log 57 minutes instead and the lowest intensity. I wait table so MFP says I should set my activity at Active but I instead set it at lightly active. I've lost 22 lb (a little more than my 2lb/week goal) and still have a long way to go but it would be A LOT harder with out the MFP site and the tools they provide!

For my weight (currently 222) MFP's calories burned are higher than what the the treadmill says (set at calories for 150lb person). It takes a lot more calories to move 72 extra pounds and MFP accommodates that well!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I eat back all of my excercise calories but I only log
    Total Cals Burned - ((Total Pre Excericse TDEE Cals / 1440 ) * Excercise Minutes)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,028 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back most of mine.