water retention advice

Options
I'm really suffering with water retention at the minute. Once a month (you know what I'm sayin) its extreme, my rings are embedded into my finger and its tough to get them off, I'm generally bloated and sluggish. The rest of the time I still get it mildly and its starting to get me down. I'm drinking a minimum of 1.5 litres of water a day, usually more. Its very rare that i add salt to my meals because I eat with my toddler. What should I be doing? Are there certain foods (i'm vegetarian) to avoid/include in my diet? Any advice from others who are experiencing the same thing?

Replies

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If it's happening all the time you might want to see your doctor about it. Water retention can be a sign of a health issues - ex. heart or kidneys. Don't want to scare you, but you should rule it out.
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If it's happening all the time you might want to see your doctor about it. Water retention can be a sign of a health issues - ex. heart or kidneys. Don't want to scare you, but you should rule it out.

I don't think its severe enough to be anything medical but its enough to annoy me. I've been told about a few foods with diuretic properties (oats, ginger, brussel sprouts) these are things that I can work into my diet.

Even though I don't add extra, I'm sure salt must be lurking in some of the stuff I'm eating.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Water. Drink at least 6 to 8 - 8 oz glasses a day.
    Make sure your urine is clear or see through.
    Color yellow ok. But cloudy or brownish could mean dehydration.
    Could you get a yearly check up? My insurance pays 100% of mine yearly with basic bloodwork.

• jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I hate to second it, but if you are drinking that much water plus eating low salt/sodium and still experiencing this I agree that maybe you should talk to a doctor. It might not be something major but it's definitely worth asking about.
  • kazzykazz75
    kazzykazz75 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It be do to your time of the month .if its not see your doctor .you could try goldenrod herb that can help .i have had this because of my monthlys and now again as i am in the menopause its a nightmare some days my clothes feel great and other day i just feel so bloated .
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been retaining water like crazy recently, however it seems to have finally gone down today! Three things I find works for me: 1) Work up a sweat 2) Limit sodium and 3) Reduce carbs (although everyone's bodies are different). Also drinking lots of fluids and eating foods like watermelon and cucumber can be really useful. However this does sound like it would be worth checking out with your doctor to be on the safe side.