Jaw surgery

Options
Ok. I recently had jaw surgery and will be having another one or two more soon. I am looking for any and all advice, and ideas for meals/foods that I can eat.
I would like to stay high protein, low/no carb. I also need low sugars because I am pre-diabetic according to doctor. I CAN NOT chew. soft foods and liquids only for the next few months. I don't want to live off of protein shakes.
Much appreciated.
Thank you in advance and God bless.

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Over 20 years ago a friend of mine had her jaw wired shut after surgery. She drank a lot of shakes for the first few days. She got sick of shakes and just put everything her mom made in the blender (I mean everything - pizza, meat, veggies, fruit). I thought it was a little icky but she had to eat!

Low carb is going to make it difficult. If you are not opposed to liquefying your food you can pretty much turn anything you eat now into a liquid - just add a little water or broth or milk and throw it into a blender.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am having my jaw surgery (upper and lower) hopefully within the year! Let me know how yours goes!! Good luck!!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this! I recently asked something similar (due to stitches and a hairline fracture in my jaw). I am still on "soft food" but can tolerate small amount of chewing on the opposite side thankfully as it does get boring.

I know you said you are pre-diabetic, but a hug staple in my diet has been mashed potatoes since I can put anything in them. I also have been making mashed carrots which have also been great.

Anyway-here is the post I had made. I'm providing the link because some people left some amazing suggestions and it would be too hard to re-list them all.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10352160/soft-foods-that-can-be-eaten-with-a-spoon/p1
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Oh-always err on the side of caution. If you feel like something is too hard or not soft enough for you to eat without chewing, don't. I made that mistake once and the pain was not worth it.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I had jaw surgery 5 years ago. I put soups and stews of all kinds in the blender. Beef chile was thick (made drinkable by adding water or milk) but really filling and high protein. Green chile chicken soup was delicious. I also drank smoothies that contained both fruits and veggies. I agree with what @bioklutz said about putting anything in a blender with some liquid. When you get hungry enough, things that sound gross pureed are suddenly a life saver. Large milkshake straws are your friend.

I hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I remember making chicken and rice for myself and putting it in the blender with some boxed soup broth.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, smoothies, scrambled eggs, soups.
  • aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I appreciate each and every one. God bless.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgeries. I had an accident years ago and fractured my jaw. My Mother added egg whites to my shakes to up my protein as I lost a lot of weight the first two weeks and I did not need to lose. Now you can buy pure powder eggs whites (Jay Robb my favorite) to add to smoothies.
  • aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good idea!