2»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    12by311 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Can you loose fat, and gain muscle, absolutely. I don't understand why this 5x5 is so popular. Honestly, in your situation, I would do sets of 12-15 reps.

I'm interested in hearing why you think the 5x5 is not a good recommendation?

For someone new, I don't suggest it. Unless your goal is to purly work on strength, then I see no use in doing 5x5's. In her situation, which is weight loss. I believe she would be better off doing light weight and high reps. Build a good foundation from the start.

No - that's actually the wrong thing to do.

Here - read this. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html/
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Amazing replies. Really appreciate your time in getting back to me - thanks all. An interesting debate about best way forward and I totally agree with the being able to build muscle in a deficit. It might just be because I am just starting but I have definitely got more muscle than I did 3 weeks ago and have got a lot stronger. I guess progress will slow some time soon.

I need a quick gym fix today. I get gym access free through work so may have a go at SL5x5 today with a bit of cardio after (if i can). The squat rack is always free in there. Loud music and blinkers on is a good way forward by the sounds of it. Will be an interesting experience! Thanks again for the advice.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    You can still lift while you're cutting. It helps maintain your muscles while you're losing. You won't see a lot of results while cutting but you will feel the difference. You'll be stronger.

You're so right! I started mfp about 6 weeks ago to cut calories and kose weight. But I also do cardio and the weight machines and find on all of the machines I have increased weights anywhere from 50-100 percent. Admittedly I started out weak, but it is a testimony to building strength while cutting calories.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Yup. I started in January with mfp but didn't really start weights until a few weeks later. I find my strength has increased quite a bit. Even showing some small biceps now that I'm losing some of that fat :)
  • spritey86
    Options
    update: I ended up using machines to mimic the SL5x5.... that free weights room is just too intimidating :( really really don't know how i am meant to even get the courage to step in there. Not even sure what i am scared of. May just sort my membership out and get an induction and force them to show me the equipment. That might get me started? It just means holding off until the end of the month. In the mean time, body pump will keep me motivated!

Thoughts?...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    spritey86 wrote: »
    update: I ended up using machines to mimic the SL5x5.... that free weights room is just too intimidating :( really really don't know how i am meant to even get the courage to step in there. Not even sure what i am scared of. May just sort my membership out and get an induction and force them to show me the equipment. That might get me started? It just means holding off until the end of the month. In the mean time, body pump will keep me motivated!

Thoughts?...

If you do not want to use free weights, it is ok, many people do not use them. At least in the beginning. But, do not try to follow a free weights program using machines. Look for programs based on machines, or dumbbells or bodyweight, or any combination of these, if you are not comfortable with barbells at this point. There are lots of programs out there, spend a little time googling to find something that is designed for the equipment you plan to use. Or ask at the gym, they usually have some generic workouts. They might not be tailored to your needs, but neither is the X or Y program you will read about.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I went into the testosterone zone this morning with my trainer. I will feel more confident to go by myself tomorrow. Getting a staff member to show you the ropes will probably be a good way for you to ease yourself in. Good luck.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

Thoughts?...

my thoughts.... i wish the timid girls i see at the gym would just have the courage to step into the weight room, but i know its scary at first. Get someone to help you learn the lifts the right way. If you can't afford a trainer, go home and watch some youtube videos and practice the movements with a broom stick or piece of PVC pipe. then when you go the gym you will have an idea of how it feels to have a bar in your hands. I can pretty much assure you that if you study and practice a few videos at home you will already know more than most of the yahoo guys throwing the iron around in there.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Thoughts?...

I know it is intimidating... but remember, everyone is so focused on themselves, that they're not really noticing you. Just like you're focused on yourself, you probably didn't give a second thought to what everyone else is doing.

My advice would be to write down or have in your head what exercises you're doing before you go. This cuts down on the wandering around/what should I do today feeling that can make people self conscious.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I also started with a body pump style class and moved into StrongLifts. Love it! There is a really great SL group for women here on MFP (link below). I recommend you join it and spend some time reading through all the source material they have there. Lots of info for beginners and modifications that many people (women specifically) find helpful. And the members are very active, so feel free to start a thread if you have a question. They also have a lot of form demonstration videos you can watch.

You can do the free weights! Don't be afraid! I find at most gyms, the bros aren't actively trying to intimidate the ladies - they're just all caught up in their own awesomeness. They either won't notice you or will respect you for doing the work. I prefer to lift during the gym's slow hours, personally. Not so much to avoid the bros, but because that's when the equipment I need is most likely to be free so I won't have to wait. In the beginning that was a bonus because there wasn't anyone around to "judge" me when I was figuring out my form. Part of the beauty of stronglifts is that you start out with super low weight which allows you to practice your form until it feels right.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • spritey86
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback and advice. I will do this! I am determined to.

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can and will do it! Today, not only did I enter the testosterone zone alone, I even asked a crowd of gentlemen who were crowding but not using some kit to move. They were very pleasant and polite about doing so. No need to feel intimidated.