Here we go, again.

Options
I've tried this before and I always lose my motivation. I am hoping this time can be different and I can start to see results. It takes 21 days for something to become a habit.

Here goes day 1.

Any motivation or inspiration is welcomed! :)

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hey :) i get what you mean. At one point i hit my highest at 165 pounds and i was so disgusted with myself i did the change. I lost 20 pounds and stayed in 140-145 pounds for the longest time. And when i restarted (i took a break for 2 weeks while on vacation) i couldn't seem to break the 140 pounds... And it took me on an emotional roller coaster. But this time i didn't give up. I was on a diet for a month and i actually lost nothing, but i lost inches. But was still obviously discouraging not seeing that darn scale move. I weighed myself early (this morning) and FINALLY i hit the 130's (138 pounds) and i feel good.

The best advice i have is to push yourself each and everyday. No one else can do it for you. Get in the habit of working out and DO NOT let yourself convince yourself of "i'll do it later" make a time and do it every single day. Measure out food, i know it's a pain but it does make a lot of difference. Read labels carefully and try to do the "my plate" in terms of your food. Meat as big as your fist, half the plate veggies, etc. (Some need to more accurately measure out food but this has worked for me). And most importantly, LOG. It really makes all the difference.. Sometimes i slack and i know it's why i'm not losing. It's so very important you keep as accurate of a food diary as much as possible.

And of course allow yourself cheat days... Most people think it's bad advice but you can't stop living cause you're on a diet. You want chocolate? Have some. But you need to learn to moderate it. My biggest enemy is ice cream... And i don't allow myself to tell myself no. I just need to learn to control myself (yes it's still a work in progress).

-- feel free to add me. That goes for anyone
  • janetori
    janetori Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hee i started 2 days ago as well so i know how you feel :) keep it up! Have fun with making good meals and exercise! And just like cholee said it is good to have a cheat day sometimes, it will prevent your basic matabolism to slow down.
    Lets do this ;)
  • cristi_rawr
    cristi_rawr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I am so with you on that struggle, I've been on and off for the last few years trying to stay healthy. I lose weight and gain it back, lose weight again then gain it back all over again. Ugh! Its tough but I'm on my 2nd week now of trying to make a true life change. You've got this!! It will be so worth it :smiley:
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself repeatedly "starting over," you really need to look at how you're approaching your weight loss. Is your calorie goal too severe? Are you cutting out foods that you enjoy? Are you overly restricting or otherwise following fad rules?

I'm not sure I buy the 21 days to break a habit thing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on motivation - as you have experienced already, it waxes and wanes... and the 21 days to create a habit is a myth. If you do the same thing over and over... don't expect to get different results...

Just set your account correctly to get the right amount of calories to eat:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Eat food you like. Weigh and log your food accurately and consistently and hit your calorie goal every day. Weigh yourself regularly. Exercise if you want to. Be patient and realistic. Weight loss is simple, but still hard work. Make it as easy as possible, it can even be fun. Make a plan that fits your life, don't try to make your life fit some random plan or idea.
  • CarolLorion
    CarolLorion Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Each day is a new day. Make a plan each morning to attack each day with all you got! Motivation will only get you so far. Once an aspect becomes routine (like daily exercise, meal planning, etc.), the build on it to include other things.

Remember - there was a time when we had to be reminded to brush our teeth every day. Same with eating right (for each individual), exercising, and tracking all of the above. Make a slip up? Pick yourself up and get back on track right away. Create a new lifestyle. It will seem hard at first, but as time goes on, it will just be "what you do" and you will be scratching your head as to why you thought it was hard in the first place!