Vegan

Options
I have been researching a ton and I honestly think there are so many reasons to become vegan as well as a ton of benefits. Can any one tell me where to start?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Start slowly.
    I have cut out red meat. Including beloved bacon.
    I love wild caught fish for omega 3's, and love my hormone free chicken breasts.
    Start by googling recipes, and planning your meals for the week.
    If you don't take a multivitamin, keep an eye on your calcium, iron, b12, iron, etc.
  • jintheusa
    jintheusa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recently made the transition from a vegetarian diet to a plant based vegan diet.. Definitely start slow. I started by cutting out all meat/fish first, then eggs, then dairy.. cheese was the last thing to go. Hard to give up real cheese. But I do feel a lot better, my skin is more clear etc
  • jintheusa
    jintheusa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also download the forks over knives recipe app... really simple yummy meals on there!
  • alexandannikasmomma
    alexandannikasmomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I normally do not eat meat, mainly as a personal taste preference. However, eggs and dairy products I ate a lot. I plan on starting with letting go off eggs and milk, then transition of of all milk based products but am curious about how to handle my protien intake.
  • alexandannikasmomma
    alexandannikasmomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jintheusa wrote: »
    Also download the forks over knives recipe app... really simple yummy meals on there!

Thank you!!
  • emmarosen1
    emmarosen1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, I started by eating up all the foods I had in my cupboards fridge and freezer and just not buying anymore, this way I eased myself into it easily! It's hard for the first couple of weeks until your body adjusts and then you will feel amazing. Good luck!
  • debjawz
    debjawz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks are phenomenal!
  • little_gothic_girl
    little_gothic_girl Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    am curious about how to handle my protien intake.
    incorporate beans and legumes! lentils, pintos, chickpeas, black, navy, kidney! Beans can be substituted for meat in chili, tacos, spaghetti(lentils), soup, burgers, salads, ect. Quinoa is an amazing grain, which can be incorporated into sweet (think oatmeal) or savory dishes like cold salads and hot where you would put rice or other grains. Tofu, tempeh and soy, if you are so inclined (some people avoid). a million and one Asian food recipes incorporate tofu, it can be fried, baked, grilled, steamed and blended into smoothies and used to make deserts like "cheese"cakes and pies. Tempeh can be used to replace bacon in many meals. Soy milk can be used in almost any dish that uses cow milk, and many brands only have 1g protien less than cow milk. Nut butters, nuts and seeds in moderation. Chia seeds are my favorite, i like to put them on avocado toast and in overnight oats.