Binge Eating Disorder

Options
Hey everyone,

Just a bit of background, I suffer from binge eating disorder pretty bad and for long periods of time I would consistently binge, well past the point of feeling sick until I had to lie in bed because I'd made myself so ill. It was primarily kebabs and cheesecakes that did me in and even after losing 5st on my first MFP diet, I fell off the wagon after three unexpected surgeries and put 5.5st back on.

Thankfully I seem to have pushed that demon to the back of my mind and have been "clean" for a month or so now and I'm doing well on my weight loss I feel. Is there anyone else here who struggles with BED? I'm looking to add friends on here with similar issues so we can help each other :)

Hope everyone is having a nice day anyways!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I don't have BED per se, but I have self medicated with food in the past.

For me:

1. More protein in relationship to carbs stops the physical urge to overeat: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    2. Yoga stops the emotional urge to overeat: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
    3. Ramping up activity level in general does something positive as well
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I suffer from self diagnosed BED. Not to the point of sickness but just ridiculousness. Currently 15 days binge free . Feel free to add me :)
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I have BED but do have disordered eating tendencies. I am studying dietetics and psychology, and have a particular interest in BED and EDNOS. I have not experienced it myself so I can't completely understand, but I so know that you are doing an amazing job. It is a difficult thing to face, so keep going and take each day one at a time. Congrats on your progress! Good luck to you, sir!
  • SilverLeaf42
    SilverLeaf42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do, especially lately from exam stress. I just can't seem to stop or control myself.
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey, add me and message me if you like. I'm restarting slowly after being derailed by binging. I downloaded a sobriety counter app to help keep track of my time since binging (and drinking). I've found therapy and mindfulness to be the most helpful when fighting the compulsion to binge.
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    Hey, add me and message me if you like. I'm restarting slowly after being derailed by binging. I downloaded a sobriety counter app to help keep track of my time since binging (and drinking). I've found therapy and mindfulness to be the most helpful when fighting the compulsion to binge.

This is actually such an amazing idea!! I never heard of binge eating disorder until today... And everything clicked to me! And downloading a sobriety counter app for days with no binges is so freaking smart!!! I am definitely going to dl when I get home!
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am healed now thank God. But the best material and most helpful I've ever read on the subject is called "Brain over Binge". The website has a lot of free information about the technique. http://brainoverbinge.com
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I also binge eat,at times to the point of physical illness. I tell myself it will never happen again, then the next day,or the next week, I would repeat the behavior.
  • Dreamer_Aly
    Dreamer_Aly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am healed now thank God. But the best material and most helpful I've ever read on the subject is called "Brain over Binge". The website has a lot of free information about the technique. http://brainoverbinge.com

Thanks for this resource! I'm going to check it out!