Cornfused

Options
Ok so me personally, I don't think im going to lose weight if after I workout, the amount of calories I can consume goes up...

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What did you set your goal at and your lifestyle?

I've got mine set at "very active" with a goal to maintain my weight. Right now, I'm eating 3,000 calories a day to start and eating back almost half of what MFP adds on after factoring in my calories burned/workouts. I've maintained my weight to a T.

If you set your goal as losing weight and factor in your lifestyle honestly, you'll lose weight. If you find its not coming off, reduce your intake by about 500 calories and see where that gets you. Or try eating back only half of what is added over your base level.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I eat a set amount of calories, and don't eat back exercise calories burned. Maybe that would be a better approach for you?

I'm female, 41 years old, 5'9, and 178 pounds. I am losing on 1930 calories per day. You can look up your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) at sites like scoobysworkshop.com or IIFYM.com. Determine your TDEE and subtract 10-15% to determine how many calories to eat per day and lose weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    epjames91 wrote: »
    Ok so me personally, I don't think im going to lose weight if after I workout, the amount of calories I can consume goes up...

You didn't ask a question but I am guessing you are looking at how your calorie goal increases when you log exercise. This is because the MFP base calorie goal is set without any exercises included but with your calorie deficit built in. If you told MFP that you wanted to lose a pound a week, it would have taken 500 calories off of your daily calorie goal before exercise, down to a minimum of 1200 calories per day for a woman or 1500 for a man. That means that you can skip exercise entirely and still have the 500 calorie deficit. So yes, you can absolutely lose weight if you consume your exercise calories when you are using a calorie goal from MFP.

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Your MFP calorie allowance already has a deficit built in. You eat back exercise calories to keep that deficit constant.

Think about it differently, you don't need to exercise to lose weight so if you set your calories in MFP and do not exercise you still lose weight. Exercuse, eat back those calories, still lose weight.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Seems common sense to me....
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Example:
    Say MFP thinks based on your stats and activity level section you will maintain your weight on 2200 calories. You say you want to lose 2 lbs per week.

2200 calories to maintain WITHOUT exercise
    -1000 calories to lose 2 lbs per week
    1200 calorie goal to lose 2 lbs per week WITHOUT exercise

Lets say you burn 400 calories through exercise

2200 calories to maintain WITHOUT exercise
    +400 calories burned through exercise
    2600 calories to maintain WITH exercise

2600 calories to maintain WITH exercise
    -1000 calories to lose 2 lbs per week
    1600 calorie goal to lose 2 lbs per week WITH exercise

(2 lbs per week is the max recommended deficit for safe/healthy weight loss)

Now since determining exercise calorie burns is done with estimates, it is recommended to start with eating 50 % back and then adjusting after say 4 weeks based on your average weekly loss. Lost more than planned on avg; eat more. Lost less than planned on avg; eat less.