Months of Dieting and Nothing Has Changed

Options
I've been trying to shed some weight for over six months now with almost no results! I do high intensity workouts at least three times a week and I have been eating about 1,500 calories everyday. I have also cut back to only 100 carbs a day and still nothing. I understand that I could simply be gaining muscle, but I feel like I should at least be seeing some results. Is it possible that there is some kind of hormonal imbalance holding me back? I was going to do some detox' sand cleanses over the next month, Amy thoughts or tips for me?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Doing exercise doesnt equal weight loss. Calorie deficit = weight loss.
  • farmergurl98
    farmergurl98 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

I know, like I said, I've been eating 1,500 calories or less every day along with my excercise
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

I know, like I said, I've been eating 1,500 calories or less every day along with my excercise

No you havent, unless you have got your calorie goal wrong
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to use a food scale to weigh everything and don't use generic entries. You also have missing meals. You are eating more than you think.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that there is a medical issue? Yes but I'm not a doctor. It is probably more likely that something is off on your logging. If I ate 1500 calories a day I wouldn't lose any weight either. I'm 5'3", lightly active and MFP has me set at 1330. I usually end up less than that.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Checked your diary. I see entries with cups and measuring spoons. I also see a lot of empty days.

You can't use cups. You need to use a food scale to weigh everything. And I do mean everything. I even measure the sugar for my coffee.

And you have to track every day. Everything. Every day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've logged about 15 days out of the last 30. And many of those look like they're partially logged. Are you keeping track somewhere else? Sometimes I track on paper at home so my diary doesn't look complete. But if you aren't tracking, unfortunately it's very easy for the calories to creep up. Even professional dietitians have been shown to be way underestimating when they estimate.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    From a quick glance through your diary, it looks like you don't log everything (one day was blank, another was only half full). You also use a lot of generic entries and don't weigh your food. It seems likely you are eating more than you think.

Use entries that match the brand you are eating or create an entry using the food label. If you are eating out, try to find the info for that restaurant or try to find the item from a similar restaurant whose nutrition info you can find. Don't use generic entries because you have no idea where they came from. Finally, invest in a food scale if possible (they can be found for as little as $10 in stores and online). It's amazing how inaccurate even pre-packaged food can be leading to us consuming more calories than we think.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight it's usually for a couple of reasons:

Inaccurate logging
    Inaccurate calculation of calories burned

Start there being honest with yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I weigh all food that enters my mouth including prepackaged ie crackers, cans of crab etc.

Sometimes I will weigh the full container eat it then weigh the empty container.

If it is consistently accurate for 5 or 6 tries I stop for that brand.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I say you either log everything or nothing. When I was logging and was very honest about it I lost weight daily, and gained when I went over. When you have your numbers dialed in correctly you will almost know what the scale reads before you get on it. I always say "you know if your logging correctly if it pisses off everyone at the table"
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    unless you are doing heavy resistance training you are not trading fat for muscle at a ratio anywhere near enough to stall weight loss.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're eating exactly 1500 calories each day? Your logging is spotty at best, and you're probably not weighing/measuring everything you eat and drink. Until your logging is tightened up, you're probably eating more than you think you are, and burning much less than you think you are. How do you determine your calories burned? MFP estimates are usually way off and you should only eat back 50 - 75% of what they give you. Or just log half of what they give you to eat.

Either way, since you don't log accurately, there's no way to tell what is/isn't working for you. I say weigh and measure EVERYTHING and log it accurately for a month. The results may be eye opening for you.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • farmergurl98
    Options
    Is it possible that there is a medical issue? Yes but I'm not a doctor. It is probably more likely that something is off on your logging. If I ate 1500 calories a day I wouldn't lose any weight either. I'm 5'3", lightly active and MFP has me set at 1330. I usually end up less than that.
    I was sick for about three years and dropped a lot if weight during that time but when I began improving, I began gaining weight and couldn't seem to get a handle on it. According to MyFitnessPal I should be eating 1,500 calories every day to lose 2 pounds a week and I have been doing that, I just don't always log in. Plus I burn 800-1000 calories doing high intensity workouts at least three times a week. I'm wondering if perhaps my metabolism is messed up from being sick for so long or something.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Going to have to agree with most people here. Logging is an issue if your numbers are tight.

Heck, I have noticed that even when I weigh everything, I typically still cheat myself. A small candy here, forgot to log a large apple there, etc. Which add up FAST.

One thing you'll realize when weighing stuff is that 'serving size' is often a LIE. Many cereals will say 'X cups or Y ounces', yet if you weight a cup you'll find it WAY more than the ounces it says! For months my breakfast alone wiped out my caloric deficit because of that.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I checked your diary. First thing I do is check fridays and saturdays. Going back through March, I don't see one of those days completed.

If i had to guess you are likely doing the following. Staying on track Sunday through Thursday, weekend comes, and you erase your deficit with weekend eating out, drinks, etc.

It is stupid easy to do this. I went out to a fish fry and ate 4500 calories that day and I was showing restraint. The first thing you need to do is actually log everything so you can get an idea of what your actual calorie intake is.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your logging is inconsistent and inaccurate. Start there because you're eating more than you think.

I also question these high intensity workouts you're doing. 800-1000 calorie burns are hard to achieve. How long are you doing these 3x a week workouts? What are you doing? How are you calculating these burns? Chances are you're really not burning that... more than likely it's half that.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was sick for about three years and dropped a lot if weight during that time but when I began improving, I began gaining weight and couldn't seem to get a handle on it. According to MyFitnessPal I should be eating 1,500 calories every day to lose 2 pounds a week and I have been doing that, I just don't always log in. Plus I burn 800-1000 calories doing high intensity workouts at least three times a week. I'm wondering if perhaps my metabolism is messed up from being sick for so long or something.

I doubt your metabolism is the problem. I think the "don't always log in" is the problem. Give it a full month of logging every single thing. Plus I do some kind of workout every single day, even if it is just a 20 min walk. What kind of workouts are you doing that burn 800-1000 calories? That seems REALLY high.
  • farmergurl98
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Your logging is inconsistent and inaccurate. Start there because you're eating more than you think.

I also question these high intensity workouts you're doing. 800-1000 calorie burns are hard to achieve. How long are you doing these 3x a week workouts? What are you doing? How are you calculating these burns? Chances are you're really not burning that... more than likely it's half that.
    I do rigorous rollerblading for at least an hour but I usually go up to an hour and a half then I do 20-30 minutes of kickboxing