warm up- 2x10@45
sets- 1x8@155
set- 1x8@175
set- 3x5@185
Pyramid back down w/less reps of course

Incline dumbbell press s/s with flyes
55lb dumbbells and 30lbs for flyes i do that for 6-8reps 5 sets

Cable flyes pyramid up for 5 sets

After that im usually cashed out, just trying to get opinions on what you guys think, i'm trying form my chest up chiseled it isn't bad now but i want that GQ look. Power isn't really my thing i know i can hit 225 but i don't have a spotter or someone dedicated enough to go with me to the gym so keep in mind i'm doing this alone.

Replies

• larsminnaar
    larsminnaar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Maybe add a decline movement to hit the lower part of your chest? I usually go for decline dumbell press around the end of my workout. Seems that right now your just hitting middle and upper pecs
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you're more interested in muscular development (hypertrophy), I would lower the weight and increase the reps on the flyes/dumbells. I would do four sets of 10-14 reps.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Maybe get some pushups in there to help with shoulder health.

Try some on a Swiss ball or with your hands in a suspension trainer.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You need to hit your upper, mid, and lower chest. Example workout:
    Flat barbell bench press
    High cable flys
    Incline dumbell press
    Machine press
    Machine or flat bench flys
    Pushups, there are several variations to choose from
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Maybe add a decline movement to hit the lower part of your chest? I usually go for decline dumbell press around the end of my workout. Seems that right now your just hitting middle and upper pecs

you are defiantly right, i have a tendency just because decline feels so awkward to be upright :s
  • Fernando618G
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    If you're more interested in muscular development (hypertrophy), I would lower the weight and increase the reps on the flyes/dumbells. I would do four sets of 10-14 reps.

i still want to have some size too, maybe i should rep out on last set?
  • Fernando618G
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    You need to hit your upper, mid, and lower chest. Example workout:
    Flat barbell bench press
    High cable flys
    Incline dumbell press
    Machine press
    Machine or flat bench flys
    Pushups, there are several variations to choose from

i can dig it

• Fernando618G
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Maybe get some pushups in there to help with shoulder health.

Try some on a Swiss ball or with your hands in a suspension trainer.

thats funny you said that about the swiss ball i was just reading it in a muscle && fitness mag :)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Overall, pretty low on volume.

I would think something like 5x10. If your 1RM is 225 lbs then when we are looking at 120-125 at 50%. (50 total reps.) Or 4x8 at 65-75%: 145 - 165. (32 total reps.) Keep the rest short, say a minute a piece and increase by 5 pounds once you can complete them.

Add in all the other stuff afterwards. Dips and pushups, db work, crossovers, etc.
  • Fernando618G
    Options

I would think something like 5x10. If your 1RM is 225 lbs then when we are looking at 120-125 at 50%. (50 total reps.) Or 4x8 at 65-75%: 145 - 165. (32 total reps.) Keep the rest short, say a minute a piece and increase by 5 pounds once you can complete them.

Add in all the other stuff afterwards. Dips and pushups, db work, crossovers, etc.

so your saying do the total 82 reps && then increase as by 5 as it gets easier? so stay away from higher weight and go for more volume?
    edited April 2016
    Options

so your saying do the total 82 reps && then increase as by 5 as it gets easier? so stay away from higher weight and go for more volume?

Yep. Exactly. It's volume that's your friend if you're looking for size gains. Of course, hit all the angles, just make sure you're focusing on the contraction. Higher reps is a way to increase the total time under tension. The more time under tension, the more micro-trauma is created. Also, if higher volume isn't your thing, then drag out the eccentric portion of the bench press thus increasing time under tension. Adjust weights/reps accordingly.
  • Fernando618G
    Options

Yep. Exactly. It's volume that's your friend if you're looking for size gains. Of course, hit all the angles, just make sure you're focusing on the contraction. Higher reps is a way to increase the total time under tension. The more time under tension, the more micro-trauma is created. Also, if higher volume isn't your thing, then drag out the eccentric portion of the bench press thus increasing time under tension. Adjust weights/reps accordingly.

i can do the volume honestly i prefer it, i just didn't want to lose my gains that's why i always stayed moderately high, but i will take what your saying into consideration & try to make a 6 week program around it, is weighted dips enough for lower pecs or should i do a isolate exercise for it?
    edited April 2016
    Options

i can do the volume honestly i prefer it, i just didn't want to lose my gains that's why i always stayed moderately high, but i will take what your saying into consideration & try to make a 6 week program around it, is weighted dips enough for lower pecs or should i do a isolate exercise for it?
    Why do you think you would "lose your gains?"

Yeah, add in anything you want for isolation. For hypertrophy I used to do something like this:

Bench press. Warmup sets reps of 12,12,10 increasing the weight. 4x8 worksets - AMRAP last set. Heavy set +5 lbs at 6 reps; +10 lbs at 4 reps; +5 at 2 reps. (Total 15 lbs increase.) Once I could do that increase all sets by 5+ lbs, excluding warmups. Then I would train lighter back off sets every other week up to three sets AMRAP.

Incline Bench press: 4x8. Increasing weight +5 after I could complete that. AMRAP last set. (90 second rest.)

DB decline/flat/incline: 3x12 AMRAP last set every other week swap one. (1 minute rest.)

Cable crossovers: 5 sets x 20 AMRAP last set. (30 second rest.)

• Fernando618G
    Options
    i use to go heavy all the time and was hitting 255 @ 1 point then i focused on light weight to tone and form, so my overall lift suffered, maybe my foundation was poorly built? thanks for the demo workout, cant wait till i get home to build something around it. do you train splits or 1 body part a day?