Carb Addicted

Options

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    PaulaS1220 wrote: »
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Carbs aren't the devil. Everything in moderation.

Yes, this.

Guys this maybe half factual.

There are some things we can eat in moderation and die as we know from watching the news. :)

It is true carbs are not the devil whatever that word means to one. Carbs are neither good or bad but just organic matter that can produce calories of energy when burned.

Now man made carbs can be killers. Processed foods can chemically not even be kin to what the they were when harvested from nature.

As we know one can not successful lose weight if our Insulin hormone is elevated. Processed carbs (fiber removed, sugar added, and other man developed chemicals added can over time become very toxic to humans in some cases. One might want to call them the 'evil' carbs. :)

Since carbs are not required for great human health it was just a no brainer for me to eliminate them from my Way Of Eating for the most part. My pain dropped from a subjective 7-8 level to 2-3 in 30 days. My carb craving left. Six months in my 40 years of serious IBS resolved and has not returned these last 12 months. My weight dropped to 200 (250 at start) for the first time in 22 years and has maintained at 200 eating 2500+ calories on average daily.

Carbs especially processed carbs are toxic to me as you can understand if what I just typed is true.

Please list these killer carbs (obvious allergies are obvious).

You have medical issues, therefore doing what you did helped you and but just because cutting carbs as an anecdotal affect on your medical issues does not make it THE way to do things. What went on with you after cutting carbs may not have any affect at all on anyone else. Insinuating that your "Way Of Eating" is the way for everyone is absolutely wrong for everyone except you. I could come on here and repeat ad nauseum that a very high carb diet was the God send for me and saved my life. It wouldn't make it true at all for you or anyone else.

I do not have medical issues. Carbs, processed or natural, are not evil and will not kill me, otherwise I'd be long dead.

And, on a side note for the second time I've seen it mentioned this morning, I'm really getting aggravated that people use alcoholism as a comparison to food "addiction." Not even in the same universe, folks.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    It is not an addiction. You just probably arent trying very hard. If you were addicted to carbs, you would be eating raw sugar...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Keep under 100 grams/day. Craving will slowly melt away.....

Or don't if you'd rather not. I lost fine with carbs over 100 grams, and no craving issues.
  • mcquistions
    mcquistions Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow some negativity, or folks dont understand how strong it is... It does control me....Well maybe addiction is too strong of a word. But I can tell you I crave it to the point where I would have to make special stops to buy carbs and bindge .....hide food in my car and at home... I'd eat bread and butter then chocolate then needed salty again.... Get up in the middle of the night to eat....
    And carbs are everwhere! My work cafeteria... every store on the way home from work... restaurants, parties.... at home my hubs junk food.... I feel if I give in once, once will lead to twice..etc.....
    Im completely jealous of my hubby and others like him who do not have my insaine controlling cravings.... you can not relate.. Then no need to be insensitive
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Wow some negativity, or folks dont understand how strong it is... It does control me....Well maybe addiction is too strong of a word. But I can tell you I crave it to the point where I would have to make special stops to buy carbs and bindge .....hide food in my car and at home... I'd eat bread and butter then chocolate then needed salty again.... Get up in the middle of the night to eat....
    And carbs are everwhere! My work cafeteria... every store on the way home from work... restaurants, parties.... at home my hubs junk food.... I feel if I give in once, once will lead to twice..etc.....
    Im completely jealous of my hubby and others like him who do not have my insaine controlling cravings.... you can not relate.. Then no need to be insensitive

Hi @mcquistions. I'm not sure which posts you felt were overly negative or didn't understand your issues, but if you meant mine then I stand by it. If you truly find that carbs control your life then you may need external help with that. We should never be afraid to ask for help.
  • mcquistions
    Options
    No @diannethegeek not you... sorry I came across that way to you. I tried hypnosis years ago, but no go. Definitely need to retrain myself and my routine. Find different outlets so I dont constantly think about needing them... What kind of cognitive help you suggest for me? I want to be successful once and for all.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I would marry bread if I could. It is SO hard for me to stick to my goals when I include foods high in carbs, even oatmeal. It just makes it easier for me to mess up, so I abstain. I eat lots of fat instead. :) Huzzah for Keto.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    No @diannethegeek not you... sorry I came across that way to you. I tried hypnosis years ago, but no go. Definitely need to retrain myself and my routine. Find different outlets so I dont constantly think about needing them... What kind of cognitive help you suggest for me? I want to be successful once and for all.

I'm not a therapist and I've never been through CBT for carb issues (my food issues run in a different direction). I just know it's helped some people and mostly I'm tired of seeing people on these boards ignore good advice in favor of shouting at the controversial suggestions.
  • mcquistions
    Options
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for a moderator to step in. OP feels addicted to carbs. This is not the debate section.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Certain carbs just make me want more and more, and it's a never ending unsatisfied circle. Like you mentioned @mcquistions , I'd call it a strong craving rather than an addiction.

I changed over to a low carb diet which pretty much squelched the cravings. I'm in the process right now of upping them to around 120g, which is still on the lower spectrum but not low carb imo. I'm going to do some experimenting to see which ones set me off. I know chocolate cookies are out as I'll eat the whole pack, but I would call that a severe lack of willpower on my part more than anything else.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    PaulaS1220 wrote: »
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Carbs aren't the devil. Everything in moderation.

Yes, this.

Guys this maybe half factual.

There are some things we can eat in moderation and die as we know from watching the news. :)

It is true carbs are not the devil whatever that word means to one. Carbs are neither good or bad but just organic matter that can produce calories of energy when burned.

Now man made carbs can be killers. Processed foods can chemically not even be kin to what the they were when harvested from nature.

As we know one can not successful lose weight if our Insulin hormone is elevated. Processed carbs (fiber removed, sugar added, and other man developed chemicals added can over time become very toxic to humans in some cases. One might want to call them the 'evil' carbs. :)

Since carbs are not required for great human health it was just a no brainer for me to eliminate them from my Way Of Eating for the most part. My pain dropped from a subjective 7-8 level to 2-3 in 30 days. My carb craving left. Six months in my 40 years of serious IBS resolved and has not returned these last 12 months. My weight dropped to 200 (250 at start) for the first time in 22 years and has maintained at 200 eating 2500+ calories on average daily.

Carbs especially processed carbs are toxic to me as you can understand if what I just typed is true.

That is inspiring!! But how do you manage 50 grams if carbs or under while eating 2500 cals? Im asking because i felt it hard to be under 20 grams of carbs a day and around 1300 cals..I was hangryyy.

@MissMonicaC4 my daily calories needs to be 2500+ and 80% of them come from fats. Anything less than 2200 for a guy is considered a starvation mode diet based upon current science. Yes one can loose weight but over time the regain of 100%+ is the normal for such dieters. Dr. Jason Fung addresses this specifically with science at 10:00 on the video.

I suggest to consider listening to Dr. Jason Fung for 5 minutes and if he does not have your interest do not last the last 25 minutes.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ETkwZIi3R7w

Remember after 40 years of yo yo diets and being addicted to carbs had wrecked my health. Having my earned OD degree I became fully aware I was rushing to a premature death so I started reading research papers and attending medical conferences around the world by way of Youtube. I went off sugar and all forms of all grain knowing our kids were going to have to watch me require more and more help to move. It was when I seriously considered Enbrel injections in my weakened state that I realized I was giving up on life at the age of 63. My wife who is a pharmacist was saying NO NO for me to get on Enbrel.

After you listen to Dr. Fung for a few minutes you may start to realize the amount of calories you really need. You were hangryyy because your body wants to live a long long time by becoming healthy. :)

Until I grasped how the body works the how to part clicked. Dr. Fung did not come up with this because he was not even born when this WOE was first practiced.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP as you mentioned in one of your earlier posts, Carbohydryates are present in a wide variety of foods, it is one of the three primary macronutrients that help fuel our body.

Because carbs are so prevalent, it would be impossible to establish a physiological addiction toward them, since they are in everything from fruits and vegetables to potato chips to sliced bread to baked goods, and often combined with other ingredients that make the food tasty and desirable. If you were addicted, you would have the same uncontrollable urge to eat broccoli and berries as you mentioned with sliced bread and chocolate milk.

That's not to say that people don't have strong cravings that to them, may make them feel out of control in the way that makes them feel that it is the substance that compels them, not their own mind. What a lot of people on these boards have found success with is really trying to analyze those urges. Are they for a particular food or foods? Do they happen at certain times of the day or under certain situations (triggered by stress, sadness, anxiety, boredom, etc). What happens when you have the craving? If the food you crave isn't around, do you substitute for another? What is that food? Do you eat without thought and consideration of consequence (i.e. A binge) or are you thinking (I shouldn't eat this but it tastes so good, I'm going to have one more, two more, etc)? Do you think that whatever that food is that triggers you could be eaten in moderation with some practice, or is it always an all or nothing situation? Could you get rid of the specific trigger foods, but continue to eat other foods that have carbs in them?

A lot of people find it empowering to stop referring to a particular food as addictive and realize that they have the control over the food, and whether or not to eat it, rather than the other way around.

That said, many people find a low carb diet to be a sustainable way of eating that they can see doing for the rest of their life. I'm not one of those people, so my approach was to learn how to moderate the foods I craved, since I know that there will be sliced bread and cake and things like that that I would want to be able to enjoy either now or in the future.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It's not that carbs are bad but processed simple carbs do cause increase in cravings for more carbs. I have experienced this first hand. When I've stuck with complex carbs, little to no simple carbs, I don't having cravings. I stay at 35% of total calories which isn't too low, on average 140-160.
    When ever I have a cheat meal/day which includes tons of simple carbs I always have cravings the next day and increased hunger.
    I just plan for it and try to control it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I think you received many helpful answers. My post above asked some questions (you don't have to answer them here, but I think they are helpful things to think about) in figuring out how to deal with your specific issues.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Certain carbs just make me want more and more, and it's a never ending unsatisfied circle. Like you mentioned @mcquistions , I'd call it a strong craving rather than an addiction.

I changed over to a low carb diet which pretty much squelched the cravings. I'm in the process right now of upping them to around 120g, which is still on the lower spectrum but not low carb imo. I'm going to do some experimenting to see which ones set me off. I know chocolate cookies are out as I'll eat the whole pack, but I would call that a severe lack of willpower on my part more than anything else.

Or a trigger food, perhaps, which vary for everyone. (I just need to point out that cookies are one of many foods that people for some reason label "carbs" even though they are often about half fat. I have 0 issues controlling myself with foods that are mostly carbs. Where I get tempted to overeat is when they are that delicious mix of carbs and fat, and even so only with specific foods, as you indicate here.)

Anyway, this is why I think the solution tends to be individual and require some thought as to both the specific foods that one struggles with and the specific circumstances in which the struggle is more common or difficult. For me, I am most successful by controlling the timing of my eating -- since I have an idea of meals that is healthy and balanced, I focus on eating most of my calories in meals, not snacking (unless I need a planned snack due to my workout schedule, and then it's planned) and having a little extra if I have the calories after dinner. I try to make sure to vary this extra somewhat -- sometimes it's a sweet mix of carbs and fat, like ice cream, but sometimes it's a savory fat like cheese or a more savory mix of carbs and fat like dried fruit and nuts.
  • HSM2673
    HSM2673 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not all carbs are bad. I stay away from bread, pasta and potatoes not sweet potatoes they are more nutrient dense. If I crave something sweet my go to are clementines 1-2, something chocolately either a chocolate protein shake really cold or 1 square of really good quality of highest % of cocoa chocolate bar. Pasta substitute spaghetti squash, yam noodles or buy a vegetable spiralizer and get creative with different veggies. Bread I just give it up all and all. My closest to eating bread is Flatout light Italian wrap to make breakfast burritio, salad wraps with chicken, sandwich wrap or even flat out pizza. I hope this helps you.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Honestly, I love carbs and the only reason I work out is so I can eat more carbs and still stay in a deficit. Like other people have said, everything in moderation.

I also choose whole grain whenever possible, which means checking labels to make sure it says a hundred percent whole wheat, or make whole wheat bread myself.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I stay away from bread, pasta and potatoes not sweet potatoes they are more nutrient dense.

The nutrients in sweet potatoes and potatoes are different, but one is not clearly superior to the other. Depends on what you need more of in your diet (for example, sweet potatoes get points for A, but I'm always way over my A needs). Since both have positives and both are tasty, I sometimes eat one, sometimes eat the other, and sometimes eat something else entirely. (Just make sure you keep the skin on, if eating for the nutrients, as that's where lots of the nutrients are.)

This from Alan Aragon is worth reading: http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/truth-behind-5-food-myths
    Myth #2: "Sweet potatoes are better for you than white potatoes."

The origin: Because most Americans eat the highly processed version of the white potato—for instance, french fries and potato chips—consumption of this root vegetable has been linked to obesity and an increased diabetes risk.

Meanwhile, sweet potatoes, which are typically eaten whole, have been celebrated for being rich in nutrients and also having a lower glycemic index than their white brethren.

What science really shows: White potatoes and sweet potatoes have complementary nutritional differences; one isn't necessarily better than the other.

For instance, sweet potatoes have more fiber and vitamin A, but white potatoes are higher in essential minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and potassium.