StrongLifts 5x5 Women - question

Options
pezhed
pezhed Posts: 777 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello, I started StrongLifts 5x5 today after really only ever lifting light weights and I'm really psyched! I am also a little scared of the 5-lb-per-workout weight increase. The website states that women could increment by 2.5-lb-per-workout with similar results. Did/do you increase by a smaller amount? Or by 5 lbs every other workout perhaps? My gym doesn't have 1.25lb plates so I'd have to buy some online to do this. OR should I just proceed with 5-lb increases each workout? I definitely found it tough already this morning with just the empty bars for bench press and squats and 65 lbs for barbell rows.

Replies

• savoringharam
    savoringharam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello! When I started, I did the 5 lb increment increases, but I have been lifting for a while now. If you are not comfortable with that, then start with the 2.5 lbs increments and work up to 5 lbs. Also, you do not have to start with 75 lbs rows, I think, there should be an option to lower it. Otherwise, best of luck to you!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have just been doing 5 pounds per jump. However, as I am getting into heavier weights I may have to purchase 1.25 plates. I can knock out 125 lb bench, but 130 lb bench kills me. You actually reminded me to go check Amazon for micro-plates, thanks!

ETA: I just ordered these, in case you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/CFF-Competition-Rubber-Fractional-Weight/dp/B0158QP2EY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I currently try the 5 lb increments (my gym also doesn't have the plates needed for a 2.5 lb increase).

I can usually increase 5 lbs on my squats.
    OHP and bench press is a struggle. However, it typically plays out that I increase the wait fail for 3 workouts, deload when it tells me to and when I get back to that weight I can do it with ease. Takes a bit longer to see the weight go up.
    Rows and deadlifts - Usually might fail 1 or 2 workouts, but on the 3rd attempt before the app prompts for deloading, I usually get it.

This might become more of a problem when I get to heavier weights, but for now it's working (just a bit slow).
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I recommend investing in some light plates. I have fractionals that vary between .25 and 1 lb. They have been extremely helpful. When I started Stronglifts I was unable to go up 5 pound increments on overhead press so the lighter weights were the only way I made progress. After a couple of months I got stuck on bench and rows and once again the fractional plates got me out of that rut.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I did 5lbs for squats and DL and 2.5 for OHP and Bench and Rows...had to.

You can get 2.5lb plates or weighted collars even washers from hardware stores work just weight them out on a food scale.

ETA: or big round magnets.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I did 5 pounds - when I couldn't do 5x5 at that weight, I did what I could until I progressed. I never had an issue running the program that way. I never really hit long ruts though -- I did 5x5 for a year and a half then moved to 531.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My gym has 1.25 lb plates but I haven't used them yet. If I fail I fail. I deload and work my way back up again. Thanks to some injuries I am nowhere near my PRs from last summer. As I work my way back up, I will use the 1.25s this time. Thanks for posting - I completely forgot that my gym has the smaller plates!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are using the APP, if you fail at the 5x5 at a weight, it shouldn't add weight to your next workout.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    actually he recommends using fractional plates for upper body when you have to
    Fractional Plates Fractional plates are small weights of 1.25kg and less. Many gyms only have bigger plates of 2.5kg. This forces you to add 5kg on each side. This can work for a while on Squats and Deadlifts. But not forever, and definitely not on the Bench Press and Overhead Press. Here’s why: the Bench and Overhead Press use smaller muscles than Squats and Deadlifts.

This is why you can’t Overhead Press what you can Deadlift. This is also why you’ll struggle on the Overhead Press first. And this is why adding 5kg on the Overhead Press is harder than on a Deadlift.

Consider: Adding 5kg to a 100kg Deadlift is a 5% increase.
    Adding that same 5kg to a 40kg Overhead Press is a 13% increase – more than double!
    But adding 2.5kg to a 40kg Overhead Press is a 6% increase – closer to what you add on Deadlift.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I started with the 5 pound increments and moved up relatively quickly...then I realized two things: 1. The heavier weights were taking much longer to get through sets because I required the longer rest periods. 2. My form was shaky.
    I got sick late last year and didn't have energy to exercise much at all. Everything got put back on hold and by the time I convinced myself to lift again I was nearly back to ground zero on all lifts. This time around I've decided to move up at snail pace being careful to master the form. My own personal preference has been keep the lifts at a weight that I only need the regular 1.5 min rest. I stick to the same weight until I feel absolutely zero falter in form and I'm nearly breezing through...then I bump up 5 lbs. I stick to that weight until the same happens. It may take 2 weeks, it may take 6 weeks...I don't care. What's the rush? I'm certainly getting stronger either way. I've also found that the slower pace keeps me from disliking the lifting (which was happening as I was getting too heavy - I was dreading squatting heavy).

So that's my story. I will always vote to go with feels what is right and also be very careful to not screw up form - or you can screw up your body.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! It sounds like it would be a wise investment to get the fractional plates, especially for upper body, or otherwise be comfortable with failure for as long as it takes, which would also be fine. I actually didn't know that the app would track your failures and have you deload as needed, so that is helpful to hear. I'm loving the app more and more!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    5 pounds is too much for me each time.
    Trying to adhere to that helped strain my back --twice. I also bought some 1.5 pound fractional
    plated and am thinking of getting some that are even lighter, so I can progress very cautiously and not hiurt my back this time.