Any ladies tried Forever 21 activewear?

Options
geministyle67
geministyle67 Posts: 22 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!

I was just made aware that Forever 21 has an activewear line today. (Don't laugh - I'm 48 years old and F21 just isn't on my list of places I normally shop)

Anyway I went to their web site and found some things I REALLY like. I refuse to pay Lulu and Athleta prices and so my go-to brands have been Old Navy and Target's C9/Champion. I am fine with the quality of those brands and am wondering how F21 compares?

Also, as a size 8 would the M leggings fit on me you think? Or should I get a L? I have heard that F21 runs smaller but I don't know if this applies to their activewear or not.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I laughed at this only because I went into F21 last week and had a moment of clarity that I am no longer able to shop in that store (I'm 39).

As to their fitness wear, I haven't tried it, but did you know that Victoria's Secret has active wear and it's AMAZING!!
  • geministyle67
    Options
    Hi there!

I have seen VS activewear and like the looks of it, but the prices are quite a bit higher than Old Navy/Target/F21.

Not ruling it out completely and I'm guessing I should probably sign up for their emails, but trying to keep leggings in the $20-$30 range at the moment. ;)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of their activewear capris that I'm pretty pleased with. The fabric is thick and durable. I like this pair better. The side pocket is deep enough to stash my phone. These are okay, but they sag a little in the crotch, so I constantly have to hike them up, which is a bit of a bother.
    For reference I am 5'2 120 and wear mediums in both. I think I could have worn smalls, but I got a small in another style that were too small, and sheer when stretched too much.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of F21 activewear pants and it didn't really work for me--the first time I washed it it disintegrated! Maybe because it had mesh along the side (I was trying to be cute), but gah.

If you have outlet stores near you, go find Puma/Under Armour/Nike outlets. I prefer Under Armour because they have great sales, I walked away with an entire new outfit (sports bra included) for under $60! Outlets really do have a lot of deals, and the clothes are still cute. Nike is good too, but I go maybe once a year when they have a good sale--otherwise I find it almost an insult to charge $100 for running pants at an outlet mall.

Old Navy has stepped up their activewear game recently...I am loving their styles now. I tend to march straight to the activewear section when I go to a store before I even look at their clothes!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I have seen VS activewear and like the looks of it, but the prices are quite a bit higher than Old Navy/Target/F21.

Not ruling it out completely and I'm guessing I should probably sign up for their emails, but trying to keep leggings in the $20-$30 range at the moment. ;)

VS is a bit pricey, but it's MUCH better quality. I used to buy Xersion brand from JCP and thought it was good, but when I switched to VS it was a big difference. The fabric is thicker, tighter, and doesn't fade.

If you download their app and shop there regularly they send you deals and coupon codes to make it more reasonable, because I agree, $65.00 is a bit much for the leggings and capris so I wait for sales.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of F21 activewear pants and it didn't really work for me--the first time I washed it it disintegrated! Maybe because it had mesh along the side (I was trying to be cute), but gah.

If you have outlet stores near you, go find Puma/Under Armour/Nike outlets. I prefer Under Armour because they have great sales, I walked away with an entire new outfit (sports bra included) for under $60! Outlets really do have a lot of deals, and the clothes are still cute. Nike is good too, but I go maybe once a year when they have a good sale--otherwise I find it almost an insult to charge $100 for running pants at an outlet mall.

Old Navy has stepped up their activewear game recently...I am loving their styles now. I tend to march straight to the activewear section when I go to a store before I even look at their clothes!

+1
    Winners has great stuff. I recently purchased a pair of Nike tights that I adore.
    Old Navy's stuff is really good too. Decent quality for the price.
  • geministyle67
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all the input! I think I might buy just one pair of the F21 leggings to test them out. And then look for sales at VS. I will also search out the outlet stores - I live in between a couple of fairly large outlets so will check and see what stores they have available.

I do still love Old Navy but am a little bored with their styles which is why I was looking to branch out. Thank you for all the great ideas! :)
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    H&M has good quality stuff for pretty good prices. (I usually buy the leggings in person though to make sure they're not see through.)

TJ Maxx and Marshalls have nice athletic wear for a fraction of the prices.
  • geministyle67
    Options
    Ah, I haven't looked at H&M. One just down the street from my office so maybe I'll go on my lunch hour this week.

Agree about TJ Maxx/Marshalls. I have gotten some Marika leggings from there that I love and they are always under $20.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like the VS line very much. Occasionally they have an in store promotions where you get a free pair of leggings if you buy a sport bra. So for around 50 bucks you get a bra and a pair of leggings. I love the sport bras--the best I have ever owned.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    From what I used to see in F21, my initial thought is that it would turn see-through in a heartbeat. I remember their clothes would be really cute but not last long at all. I am pleased to hear the reviews about VS workout gear. I've seen it but didn't know if it was good quality.
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Another vote for TJ Maxx. Love their workout wear, to the point I now have to stay away from that section when I go in the store!. ;-) And I don't know if you have Groupons where you are (email discounts), but I always get good stuff and they often have Marika and other brands, too. Prices are great! But I must say, Victoria's Secret has great sports bras, especially for larger sizes (DD).
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you have a h and m, I've had some sports leggings from there for 10 yrs!!! Very comfortable and non sweaty
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I cant wear anything out of F21. I am 5'9 180lbs with really long legs I have to bite the bullet and spend the money and get Athleta and Nike for a great fit for my body. Their stuff will last me a few years so it is worth the money.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious too - for everyone who swears by VS, Target, Old Navy, etc., how long does a pair of pants last? I like Lulu because I may pay a small fortune but a pair of their pants lasts me 4 years with once-a-week wear. (At which point it's still wearable but there's sometimes some pilling I don't like.)

Sports bras are obviously not going to have the same longevity and I like to rotate out my tops so I'm mostly curious about pants.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Victorias secret sports bras for bigger chested ladies. The BEST.
  • geministyle67
    Options
    My C9 and Old Navy stuff has held up really well. Some I have had 3-4 years probably? BUT I'm really good about just washing in cold water and then hanging to dry.

I wound up buying one pair of leggings from F21. I'm only 5'4" and pretty average proportions so I never have to worry about things being too short on me, etc. A bigger concern is things being too thin and showing my cellulite - LOL.

If I can remember to, I'll come back here and update with my impressions of the F21 leggings! :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I got my first pair of leggings (Capri length) from fabletics. I like them. They seem really sturdy. The fabric is thick. I got them via the $25 for your first outfit promotion - I got it with a really cute top. I've gotten a few other things, but I think the leggings were the best deal so far.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    havent tried theirs but i do like victorias secret and express's active wear lines
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I get all my stuff at Ross's Dress for Less. Name brand stuff for 10-20 bucks. Works for me.