3 months in a Chinese hotel....

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
I will be moving to an apartment at the JW Marriott in Chongqing China this Friday and I will be there for 12 weeks, before heading to Europe for a month of vacation. I really want to make this time count, drop a few (6-10 maybe) pounds, gain some strength and work on my running. Normally when I'm home, I do StrongLifts 5x5, martial arts (krav maga), and run at total of ~5 times a week though I've been slacking/traveling/busy since just before Christmas and not doing much.

The hotel has an...ok gym. Treadmills, basic machines, a small free weight area and a big pool. The dumbbells go up plenty high, but there are no barbells, cages (not even smith), leg press machine etc. There is a mixed pulley machine thing that you can set up to squat (with the pulleys on each side), but if you can't clean it, you can't squat it and it seems super awkward.

Any suggestions for a plan/routine? Maybe with standard machines? Ideas for progression? For instance, adding 10lbs at a time to a dumbbell bench is NOT easy. I also HATE the treadmill, can never run as far or as fast, but that can't be helped with the bad air and uneven/slippery streets. I will also be working at least 12 hour days, so if I need a day, I'll take a day.

I'm thinking:
M,T,Th,F morning: jog, sprints/walk, T25, or swim
M,W,F evening: Random mix of dumbbell lifting, body weight (pushups, chinups, pullups if I can work up to them) and machines.
Saturday: Something. Maybe just a hike around the city or get out somewhere where I can actually run.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd do dumbbell equivalent exercises. You might not be able to add 10 lbs at a time to lift but you can add more reps and then when you move up in weight just lower the reps quite a bit. Goblet squats, RDLs, bench press, shoulder press, etc. You could use the bench to do back extensions and hold a dumbbell for added weight (might need to set something on the back of the bench or on its feet to keep it from flipping up.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'd do dumbbell equivalent exercises. You might not be able to add 10 lbs at a time to lift but you can add more reps and then when you move up in weight just lower the reps quite a bit. Goblet squats, RDLs, bench press, shoulder press, etc. You could use the bench to do back extensions and hold a dumbbell for added weight (might need to set something on the back of the bench or on its feet to keep it from flipping up.

I agree with this.

Also not clear to me if you are working or have this time off, but if you can for weight loss goals, maybe try to get in as much walking a day as you can in addition to your structured lifting/running/swimming. That's assuming you have the time. Just step out of the hotel and walk for a couple miles a day, pick a different direction each time, etc. Will help you to make the most of being there as well, allow you to get a feel for the area and do some passive sightseeing.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I see you're an engineer. I'm a Fire Sprinkler System Designer/Eng. Tech. Raise your hand if you also suffer from "sit.at.desk.too.long.causes.office.*kitten*" :D Aside from your post, I envy your travels!
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Goblet squats! Good one Jemhh. They've been on my radar, but I keep forgetting about them. Is there a dumbbell equivalent of dead lifting?

blues4miles: I'm working at least 12 hour days at least 5 days a week. Somewhere between 2-8 hours of that will be standing, walking, going up and down stairs etc at the factory.

Devil: I was definitely getting fat and stupid before I started working out. I also have a standing desk which helps, but going and hitting things helps more :wink: I miss martial arts.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Goblet squats! Good one Jemhh. They've been on my radar, but I keep forgetting about them. Is there a dumbbell equivalent of dead lifting?

blues4miles: I'm working at least 12 hour days at least 5 days a week. Somewhere between 2-8 hours of that will be standing, walking, going up and down stairs etc at the factory.

Devil: I was definitely getting fat and stupid before I started working out. I also have a standing desk which helps, but going and hitting things helps more :wink: I miss martial arts.

You can do Romanian deadlifts with dumbbells. You can do dumbbell swings (like kettlebell swings) as a posterior exercise too. Oh, and single leg RDLs, which look deceptively easy but take a good amount of balance. I'm maybe odd but I love hotel gyms because they make me think outside of my normal box and change up my workouts. This would be exciting for me :)
  • blues4miles
    Options
    I see you're an engineer. I'm a Fire Sprinkler System Designer/Eng. Tech. Raise your hand if you also suffer from "sit.at.desk.too.long.causes.office.*kitten*" :D Aside from your post, I envy your travels!

Engineers unite!

Nevermind then. Maybe if you are bold you could get some running in around the city. I always planned to when I travelled for work but always chickened out. And that was all within CONUS so I had no excuse other than my own fears. Regret it now, but I may have another job in the future where I travel again so not ruled out.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You can do Romanian deadlifts with dumbbells. You can do dumbbell swings (like kettlebell swings) as a posterior exercise too. Oh, and single leg RDLs, which look deceptively easy but take a good amount of balance. I'm maybe odd but I love hotel gyms because they make me think outside of my normal box and change up my workouts. This would be exciting for me :)

Definitely not letting it stop me! Thank you for the ideas. That's what I was hoping for :)
  • lilawolf
    Options

Engineers unite!

Nevermind then. Maybe if you are bold you could get some running in around the city. I always planned to when I travelled for work but always chickened out. And that was all within CONUS so I had no excuse other than my own fears. Regret it now, but I may have another job in the future where I travel again so not ruled out.

Chongqing's air usually tastes vaguely of metal (when it doesn't smell like sewer or hot pot), and the streets have a thin (or not so thin) layer of grease on them... Even walking can be tricky and slippery. I'm serious. Been there 5 times in just over a year... I'd kill myself running. There's also the fact that no one actually does that, so people don't get out of your way.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

Maybe I need to go out and hit things. Gah, I suffer so much from the sitting and the STRESS. I finally quit keeping snacks in my desk. I stress out with the deadlines and conference calls and overtime...and colleagues that constantly need my help. Oye!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    You have my condolences. I have suffered through 7 one month or longer trips in the last 21 months to China. It really sux.
    Be very careful about what you chose to eat. Food poisoning is a problem. And never drink the tap water. You room many be equipped with a reverse osmosis water purification system. But more likely not so they can sell you overpriced bottled water.
    Hopefully you are on an expense account. Most hotels that have gyms charge and extra fee per visit and they "visit" is 90 minutes. Good luck with the pool. Hopefully it has lane ropes. I haven't found a pool yet that has lane ropes. People swim across the pool, diagonally, or they just hang out at the ends of pool. I got hit in the head so many times that I gave up. And the water is dangerously warm for people that actually swim.
    I have not found any sort of weight room that costs less than $250 a month.
    So even though I'm not supposed to walk much, it is the only exercise I get plus a resistance band set I leave in the corporate apartment.
  • blues4miles
    Options

Engineers unite!

Chongqing's air usually tastes vaguely of metal (when it doesn't smell like sewer or hot pot), and the streets have a thin (or not so thin) layer of grease on them... Even walking can be tricky and slippery. I'm serious. Been there 5 times in just over a year... I'd kill myself running. There's also the fact that no one actually does that, so people don't get out of your way.

Understood. I know foreigners can already draw quite a bit of attention in certain places, I'm sure a jogging foreigner might be even more weird. Like I said, I was too cowardly to jog outside in plenty of reasonable places CONUS I travelled to, so definitely no judging from me. Hope you find a way to make it work!
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There is some sick bodyweight progression out there.

I.E. Negative Pullups --> Pullups --> L-sit Pullups --> Pullover
    Pushups --> Decline Pushups --> Decline Diamond Pushups / hold at the bottom pushups
    L-Sit Progression

Also you can make the weight you have more efficient.
    I.e. Single Leg Romanian DL (holding a pair of dumbbells in both hands). Or Bulgarian Split Squat (pair of dumbbells in your hand for 1 leg).

Otherwise there is explosive work that people hate:
    Burpies, mountain climbers, squat jumps with dumbbell in your hand, etc.

Lastly, you can do the Dumbbell Stopgap program in a dumbbell only gym.
    If you are more advanced, do a push, pull, legs routine with dumbbells only.
    Push: DB Chest Press, DB Incline / Decline Press, DB Overhead Press, DB Flies, Arnold Press
    Pull: pull/chin ups, DB Single arm rows, Krok Rows,
    Legs: Bulgarian Split Squat, Goblet Squat, Weighted Lunges, Burpies, etc.

For actual routine, I like to pick a main movement (3 sets of 5-6 reps), 1-2 secondary movement (3 sets of 6-10 reps), and then finish off with accessory work (3-4 sets of 10+reps). Inspired by PHUL but modified for 100% Dumbbells/chin up bar.

For an upper body day, that would be:
    1-Flat DB bench - 3 sets of 5-6 reps (3-5 minute rest)
    2a - Incline DB Press - 3 sets of 6-10 reps, superset with
    2b - Chin Ups - 3 sets of max reps (2-3 minute rest)
    3a - Single Arm DB Rows 3 sets of 10 reps, superset with
    3b - Dips or Push ups max reps (2-3 min rest )
    4a- Bicep Curls superset with
    4b - Tricep work

1 is the main movement where it's the heaviest yet lowest rep, 2 is the secondary lifts which help the strength and size gains for the main, and anything after that is higher reps for the burn where you push yourself to the limit.