Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Do People not Understand what Debate Means?

1234689

Replies

  • BroScience83BroScience83 Posts: 2,280Member Member Posts: 2,280Member Member
    how dare i??...im sorry....carry on
    edited April 2016
  • WinoGelatoWinoGelato Posts: 13,319Member Member Posts: 13,319Member Member
    Ok so let me see if I have this straight.

    This is a thread in the debate section about if people know what the debate section is for.
    There was no debate, only cat gifs for several pages
    When it was brought up that the cat gifs made it ineligible for the debate section, people started debating about whether a debate was actually occurring.
    We are now debating about how online forums in general work.
    In addition to the cat gifs, there seems to be an elephant in the room.

    Did I miss anything? Because I'm really kitten confused lately about what is going on around here.


  • psuLemonpsuLemon Posts: 35,099Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 35,099Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    With that logic shouldn't this discussion be out of the the debate section?

    Since it is about the debate section, I don't how it belongs anywhere else.

    Its not a debate. Its not understanding how a forum works. There is no forum out there that doesnt deal with this type of thing. People use the app, which doesn't have the definitions below it, and end up choosing the wrong section. It happens all the time in every single one of the sections. It happened all the time on my car forums as well. Some people dont understand, some dont read, and sometimes they just choose what they think is best.

    Not seeing this as a debate.

    Opinion noted.

    Maybe you should research how forums work and then show me a constructivr counter argument since its the debate section.

    Nah, I'd prefer the fun that this thread turned into....posting fun cat gifs. I guess that makes me the devil. *puts horns on* I also answered the OP's question, which I believe is the point of many forums...even sometimes this one.

    CAT-GIF-Funny-Cat-playing-Wack-amole-with-human-finger.gif

    So that means you have no justification or proof to argue my experience and knowledge of modding forum for over 10 years. You opinion is noted. Nice debating with you.

    Well if we are really doing this.....

    I have been members of forums since the mid to late 90s. It's now 2016. I have created two forums and also moderated most of the forums I have been a part of (lost count since many forums I have been involved with, I have been moved up to leadership). I have found the experiences over at MFP to be drastic different than any other online community I have ever been a part of. I do not want to get into specifics because I am aware of the policy of members making any reference to moderation or forum management. It's a debate that I am not allowed to have on my side, so I guess you have to win this one.

    I have just as much experience and knowledge as you do, but it is easily discounted in this particular forum and this specific debate. I would say it was nice debating with you, but sadly it is impossible for me.

    And a final note...

    anigif_enhanced-buzz-29399-1376758388-1.gif

    Mod policy has literally zero to do with this conversation. I have been a part of several top rate and huge communites. The larger the community, the increase in chances that someone will post in the wrong section. It really is that simple and no where near a debate. Suggesting its a debate shows a lack of understanding of how forums work and how people post.

    Mod policy has absolutely everything to do with this conversation, but only one person here is allowed to talk about it. So congrats, you win! Yay you.

    So because people post in the wrong section, its a policy issue. I better go tell everyone that gained weight over the weekend and posted in the gaining weight section about this.


    Please feel free to pm me how mod policy affects where people post. I would love to hear a valid argument.
  • tincanonastringtincanonastring Posts: 3,969Member Member Posts: 3,969Member Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Ok so let me see if I have this straight.

    This is a thread in the debate section about if people know what the debate section is for.
    There was no debate, only cat gifs for several pages
    When it was brought up that the cat gifs made it ineligible for the debate section, people started debating about whether a debate was actually occurring.
    We are now debating about how online forums in general work.
    In addition to the cat gifs, there seems to be an elephant in the room.

    Did I miss anything?
    Because I'm really kitten confused lately about what is going on around here.


    It's not in my nature to be mysterious, but I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
    TdDbA0.gif
  • tincanonastringtincanonastring Posts: 3,969Member Member Posts: 3,969Member Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    With that logic shouldn't this discussion be out of the the debate section?

    Since it is about the debate section, I don't how it belongs anywhere else.

    Its not a debate. Its not understanding how a forum works. There is no forum out there that doesnt deal with this type of thing. People use the app, which doesn't have the definitions below it, and end up choosing the wrong section. It happens all the time in every single one of the sections. It happened all the time on my car forums as well. Some people dont understand, some dont read, and sometimes they just choose what they think is best.

    Not seeing this as a debate.

    Opinion noted.

    Maybe you should research how forums work and then show me a constructivr counter argument since its the debate section.

    Nah, I'd prefer the fun that this thread turned into....posting fun cat gifs. I guess that makes me the devil. *puts horns on* I also answered the OP's question, which I believe is the point of many forums...even sometimes this one.

    CAT-GIF-Funny-Cat-playing-Wack-amole-with-human-finger.gif

    So that means you have no justification or proof to argue my experience and knowledge of modding forum for over 10 years. You opinion is noted. Nice debating with you.

    Well if we are really doing this.....

    I have been members of forums since the mid to late 90s. It's now 2016. I have created two forums and also moderated most of the forums I have been a part of (lost count since many forums I have been involved with, I have been moved up to leadership). I have found the experiences over at MFP to be drastic different than any other online community I have ever been a part of. I do not want to get into specifics because I am aware of the policy of members making any reference to moderation or forum management. It's a debate that I am not allowed to have on my side, so I guess you have to win this one.

    I have just as much experience and knowledge as you do, but it is easily discounted in this particular forum and this specific debate. I would say it was nice debating with you, but sadly it is impossible for me.

    And a final note...

    anigif_enhanced-buzz-29399-1376758388-1.gif

    Mod policy has literally zero to do with this conversation. I have been a part of several top rate and huge communites. The larger the community, the increase in chances that someone will post in the wrong section. It really is that simple and no where near a debate. Suggesting its a debate shows a lack of understanding of how forums work and how people post.

    Mod policy has absolutely everything to do with this conversation, but only one person here is allowed to talk about it. So congrats, you win! Yay you.

    So because people post in the wrong section, its a policy issue. I better go tell everyone that gained weight over the weekend and posted in the gaining weight section about this.


    Please feel free to pm me how mod policy affects where people post. I would love to hear a valid argument.

    Nah. I probably wouldn't show the proper level of respect and you'd just ignore me or something.
  • lemurcat12lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886Member Member Posts: 30,886Member Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Ok so let me see if I have this straight.

    This is a thread in the debate section about if people know what the debate section is for.
    There was no debate, only cat gifs for several pages
    When it was brought up that the cat gifs made it ineligible for the debate section, people started debating about whether a debate was actually occurring.
    We are now debating about how online forums in general work.
    In addition to the cat gifs, there seems to be an elephant in the room.

    Did I miss anything? Because I'm really kitten confused lately about what is going on around here.


    Only that it's turtles, all the way down.

    93nw7k81qxx7.gif


  • zyxstzyxst Posts: 9,145Member Member Posts: 9,145Member Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Ok so let me see if I have this straight.

    This is a thread in the debate section about if people know what the debate section is for.
    There was no debate, only cat gifs for several pages
    When it was brought up that the cat gifs made it ineligible for the debate section, people started debating about whether a debate was actually occurring.
    We are now debating about how online forums in general work.
    In addition to the cat gifs, there seems to be an elephant in the room.

    Did I miss anything? Because I'm really kitten confused lately about what is going on around here.

    tumblr_n3q1hf402i1s2yegdo1_400.gif
  • lemurcat12lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886Member Member Posts: 30,886Member Member
    Lemon, unless I'm wrong, you seem to be bothered that people are commenting on people posting non debate threads here (which does seem pretty comical sometimes). Why? Obviously you can't make them read the FAQ or even the forum name or understand what "debate" signifies.
  • WetcoasterWetcoaster Posts: 1,790Member Member Posts: 1,790Member Member
  • GreenIceFloesGreenIceFloes Posts: 1,541Member Member Posts: 1,541Member Member
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Posts: 35,099Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 35,099Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Lemon, unless I'm wrong, you seem to be bothered that people are commenting on people posting non debate threads here (which does seem pretty comical sometimes). Why? Obviously you can't make them read the FAQ or even the forum name or understand what "debate" signifies.

    I am not bothered. The forums don't bother me at all (regardless of what is posted on the walls of others). OP asked a question. I provided an answer to that question and then, well... you know the rest.


    So when the OP asked: "Do people not understand the meaning of the word "debate"?" The answer is most likely no. I provided the reasons. I have yet to see counter reasons for that. But since this is a debate section, then it should be a debate right? Otherwise, I will just move it to chitchat with all the other animal gifs.
  • shadowfax_c11shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,937Member Member Posts: 1,937Member Member
    I usually use worms but the bass seem to really like crawdad tails too and fer catfish de bes bate is dough ball.
    edited April 2016
  • Rage_PhishRage_Phish Posts: 1,514Member Member Posts: 1,514Member Member
    I have seen repeated posts in the debate forums that are not topics for debate, they are questions about weight-loss of lack of it, exercise, and diet, that is, how to and why questions, not what do you think about this topic of debate. That leads to the question in the title, "Do people not understand the meaning of the word "debate"?"

    how could someone debate this post?
  • DeficitDuchessDeficitDuchess Posts: 3,102Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,102Member, Premium Member
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    I have seen repeated posts in the debate forums that are not topics for debate, they are questions about weight-loss of lack of it, exercise, and diet, that is, how to and why questions, not what do you think about this topic of debate. That leads to the question in the title, "Do people not understand the meaning of the word "debate"?"

    how could someone debate this post?

    Exactly correct! This is a complaint, not a debate. Even if this was something to debate, here's not the place because this forum, is solely for health & fitness debates & this type of a debate, has nothing to do; with health & fitness!
    edited April 2016
  • zoeysasha37zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,133Member Member Posts: 7,133Member Member
    Are we debating if cat gifs are awesome or not ? I would say no . I'm a dog person and am truly let down by the small number of dog gifs posted on mfp.

    Oh and... Do I think people understand what the word debate means ? Well some do. I've noticed a lot of really odd threads posted here so its clear that others do not.
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Posts: 35,099Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 35,099Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    I have seen repeated posts in the debate forums that are not topics for debate, they are questions about weight-loss of lack of it, exercise, and diet, that is, how to and why questions, not what do you think about this topic of debate. That leads to the question in the title, "Do people not understand the meaning of the word "debate"?"

    how could someone debate this post?

    Welcome to MFP, where everything is debatable and gifs are good.
Sign In or Register to comment.